Do u just leave the default mode of AntiVir?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sweater, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Okay...I have just installed the Avira AntiVir anti-virus coz I think my Avast Home are heavy on my pc. I have to choose between AVG and AntiVir and AntiVir is more popular and probably the most popular of the free antivirus here. :D

I have know here, that Antivir produces many false positives so I would like to ask what settings should be tweaked on. Is it just okay to leave it at its default mode and everything will be ok? :rolleyes: o_O :cautious:

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I set the heuristic levels to high and havent had a FP in over 2 months.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

The report of FPs is from awhile back. A certain individual at this site has worked diligently to correct this as hopefully should be evident later today when IBK releases his new report.:)

4. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=155207

Link above is to a good (recent) Thread on this board about AntiVir settings.

There are several areas of your Configuration [expert] that you should re-set from default.

Only thing I can add is do not edit or remove the default schedules (on main Console).

Simply un-check them and create as many 'new-jobs' as you want, and check those to take effect after system or AntiVir has 're-started'.

5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Many tnx for the quick response...;) :cool:

I'll set it into high for better protection...:ninja: :cautious:

6. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I edited those jobs for update and scan changing the times and frequencies and have not run into any problems, at least have not noticed any. I use the suite.

Gary

7. pilotart

Had thought that "problems from fooling with default schedule" was a thing from the past.:rolleyes:

One false positive (of three total in eleven months) got me 'fooling with...' and after deleting default schedules (editing had never caused any problem) and recreating what looked the same;

found that I could no longer use the "Start Update" (that used to work fine) either from Right-Click menu or Console links. Here is a screenshot that is seen instead of "Start_update":[​IMG]

Scheduled jobs still work fine, including an "Immediately..." job, but it was less clicking to just have a shortcut to prepud.exe on desktop now.

Attached Files:

8. shek

shek Registered Member

Another advantage to use prepud.exe is you could disable the antivir schedule service, if no scheduled scan or update job.

9. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Leaving AntiVir on default mode is OK but you can tweak it a lot. I see that someone found my settings. I hope that there's some help to choose your own "best" settings. I like AntiVir a lot and it's too good to be FREE product =)

-MikeNAS

10. pilotart

At home, dial-up service suites me fine and get LAN or WiFi when 'on-the-road' (between flights). With a check in
    it checks/updates on every connection and is done in less than a minute, if on WiFi I must click the prepud shortcut and it is done in less than a minute:D
    Schedule 'job' is good for an Update check on each dialed connection, but any auto-scheduled Update will just fail if not connected,
    long ago, I would set Norton to dial itself for an Update, but this was never on any schedule.

Looking at Configuration Update page, it looks like it could be set to dial in on schedule, Update and disconnect while you were sleeping, but I have never set it to do that.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

although i aint pro-antivir, not really, id like to comment on this.

i must say, that you should set everything on HIGH, with any software you use that regards security.

might aswell use the protection it offers, than limit it, thats what i think.

12. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

There are a lot of choices on setting up AntiVir.
    There was a thread here not long ago about settings,heuristics etc.. for AntiVir.
    Regarding false positives,I haven't had one yet.

13. jasonago

jasonago Registered Member

Pare, I personally set my heuristics to low just to prevent false positives BUT many posters and critics says that it is seldom to have FP even in HIGH settings...

Just allow all archives to be scanned, then in extended threat categories you can check joke programs...SPR and PCK options can interfere to some programs so just leave it to its default settings...

Also, for Scan option, quarantine all files, repair first then delete if not repaired...

14. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Antivir is the best choice as far as AV capabilities is concerned. I would recommend everyone to try AntiVir unless it is not happy with your system. It is not bloated either. Don't forget it is free!

Avast! is okay but far worse than AntiVir.

AVG is a no-no to me. Its performance is too bad (see av-comparatives.org, it has never achieved any "advanced" or "advanced+". It even got the "unclassified (grey)" awards for several times). People like it because it is one of the first free AV.

It is used to be. I won't say many now. "Many" is used to describe products like Dr.Web, Fortinent & VBA32.
    It has fewer and fewer false positives. It ranked 6th in the latest false positive test (done by av-comparatives.org), which has the same number of false positive as Avast! and NOD32. However it is just one test only. From my own observations and reading, it has still slightly higher false positives than the average AV (although I can see the improvement).

If you wish to lower the possibility of false positives, configure the "heurisitics" setting. Switch it off or set it low.

15. Wai_Wai

Read this (extracted from the help file)

Win32 file heuristic
    Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic contains a very powerful heuristic for Windows file viruses, worms and Trojans, which can also detect unknown viruses, worms and Trojans. If this option is enabled, here you can set how "aggressive" this heuristic should be.

Low detection level
    If this option is enabled, Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic detects fewer viruses, worms or Trojans, the risk of false alerts is low in this case.

Medium detection level
    This option is enabled as the default setting if you have selected application of this heuristic.

High detection level
    If this option is enabled, Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic detects a large number of unknown viruses, worms or Trojans, but you must also expect false positives.

16. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Lucky that even this option enabled, IBK has shown that those FP:s were very uncommon, only 5 in the last Av-Comparatives.org clean set test. :)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

17. marcromero

marcromero Guest

When I tried AntiVir, I ran at the default settings, they seemed adequate to me, unfortunately, AntiVir did not run well on my aging laptop.

18. Wai_Wai

Yes, I will still recommend "high".

Better safe than sorry.

Although you will have (slightly) more false positives, you can usually isolate them first and send them to analysis. Personally I think they are more responsive than big companies like Symantec Corp and McAfee.

See you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.