Do rules apply in automatic firewall mode?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by alexsch8, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexsch8

alexsch8 Registered Member

I have pushed rules to workstations via ERAS to ESS to allow incoming RDP. ESS is set to automatic mode but RDP doesn't work. It works in interactive mode though.

Is there a way to have rules govern some of the automatic traffic? I was under the impression that if I create rules in interactive mode, they would still apply when switching back to automatic.

Why do I not want to use Interactive Mode? Well, imagine a bunch of non-techies on their newly setup PCs with a fresh install of ESS and trusting them to allow certain traffic and having them remember to check the "create rule" button...

What is "spooler"? - I didn't start that program... must be malicious... lets not allow that and call support to ask... oh... why can't I access my printer?

Are there rule templates for certain situations, such as setting up ESS in a AD environment etc.?

2. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

auto mode works like Windows Firewall by blocking traffic in only one direction.. I forget which it is but interactive mode blocks traffic in both directions after applying rules....

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can switch to the policy-based mode and enable the following general rules to make the policy-based mode work like admin mode:
    1, Block all unknown outbound traffic
    2, Allow all initiated inbound traffic

Whatever additional rule you'll create either manually or in interactive mode, they will take precedence over these general rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.