Do NOT install ExplorerPatcher

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rasheed187, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I just wanted to give you guys a heads up. I recently was planning to reset my PC, so I decided to install some ''risky'' apps, and ExplorerPatcher broke my PC, Windows Explorer couldn't load anymore, also not after reboot. This was on Windows 10, but people have also reported problems on Win 11. As far as I'm concerned, it's total crap! :gack:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/178...-features-for-free-with-explorer-patcher.html
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/13wxr6v/dont_install_explorerpatcher/

2. warrior99

warrior99 Registered Member

Working fine on my windows 11 Maybe it was something on your PC it conflicted with?

3. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

@Rasheed187 StartAllBack works well with less reported issues. 100 day free trial and then peanuts for a license.

4. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I very recently upgraded(?) my PC to Windows 11, so I had to use something to get the toolbar back on the taskbar. I installed ExplorerPatcher and have been using it for the last month without any issues. The only major things I am using with EP are the toolbar on the taskbar, Windows 10 Start menu and show all system tray icons, but I have not disabled any other option that was checked by default.

One thing to note is that I have neither updated Windows 11 nor EP since I installed it.

Maybe using it on Windows 10 caused the problem because a lot of things EP patches are already included in Windows 10 by default.

5. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I've had no issues at all with ExplorerPatcher and Windows 11. It's running very smoothly.

6. Bertazzoni

I missed that he was using it on W10. Why in god's name would anyone use EP on 10? StartIsBack or Old/New Explorer are made for W10.

7. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I'm not even sure why someone would use Windows 10 at all.

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Why wouldn't they? It's a security risk to use previous versions of Windows, since they no longer receive security updates. So if you're a Windows user, ideally you should be running either Windows 10, or Windows 11 - which is faster.

9. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Because my hardware is not “supported” by Windows 11.

I know I can make Windows 11 run on it (I did), but because of the vague communication from Microsoft about not getting updates on Windows 11, I plan to stay on 10 while that still does get (guaranteed) updates.

10. B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/ Registered Member

Open-Shell for my W10. Works flawless.

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Windows 11 on unsupported hardware does get updates, but the yearly updates to new builds have to installed manually. While Microsoft could stop providing updates for unsupported hardware, I highly doubt they will do that.

12. Rasheed187

Both good points, and another reason is because Win 10 is way less annoying than Win 11, from what I've seen. And thanks everyone for the replies, from what I understood it should work just fine on Win 11 for most people, and it's probably caused by some kind of conflict. I was using Open-Shell and 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, but you would still hope that a tool like ExplorerPatcher couldn't completely break Windows Explorer, it stopped it from loading at all, I have never seen such a thing.

13. Bertazzoni

Obviously you didn't read or comprehend above posts: EP is made for W11, not W10!

14. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

this page do not exclude win10
    https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher/wiki
    the changelog mention taskbar10 and taskbar11.
    anyhow i have dropped any patcher like this, my latest usage was uxtheme-patcher. too much trouble, cat and mice race until a fix is ready and windows remains unstable. so i use the mentioned startisback/startallback (licensed).

15. Bertazzoni

The developer is active and the app is stable and updated regularly. The best of the bunch, AFAIK.

16. Rasheed187

Obviously you haven't seen all of the download sites that clearly state that ExplorerPatcher is for both Win 10 and 11. And in my first post you will see a post on Reddit where several people also mention problems with EP on Win11, so I doubt this is some problem on Win 10 only. And again, never had problems with Open-Shell and 7+ Taskbar Tweaker. I think the hooking method that EP uses is a bit too aggressive.

17. monkeylove

monkeylove Registered Member

I think you can just use Open Shell for Win 10.

For Win 11, I used Open Shell and ExplorerPatcher to make the interface look like Win 7.

18. DangitallRedux

DangitallRedux Registered Member

I, also, have found the combination of Open Shell and ExplorerPatcher to work together without a hitch. While I understand that Microsoft has, shall we say, a reputation when it comes to its updates, perhaps there's something else going on in the systems that are being "broken" by the latter program? Not accusing, just suggesting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.