Do I still need a dedicated antispyware prog

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by philebus, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philebus

philebus Registered Member

Hi All,

I have a life subscription to superantispyware, but am wondering whether I still need to use it (especially since it doesn't seem to run too well with Avira on my computer).

Currently, I'm using:
    comodo 2.4 firewall
    boclean
    Avira antivir premium
    XP pro sp 3

Even though I use p2p I have never got a virus or trojan, so I am wondering if given this combo I really need to use SAS, especially since it has become buggy on my system of late? Does its real-time protection add any protection to that provided by avira and boclean?

any views appreciated

thanks

2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

You could use it on demand as a second opinion. I do it that way as well. No problem

3. philebus

Yes, I thought about that, but even if it didn't interfere with Avira, does it really ad any protection if run in real time?

I ask because Avira, like most good antivirus progs, now has pretty decent antispyware and antitrojan protection. Plus I am running a decent firewall (admittedly not version 3 which has too many pop ups for my taste) and a dedicated anti-trojan.

In fact, my question is really more general; do dedicated antispyware programs really have a future now that antivirus software includes antispyware. Sure they once were essential, but are they still?

4. 3xist

3xist Guest

The fact is NO company in the security industry can claim 100% protection. Avira Premium is an awesome, kick ass Antivirus. But again - does not provide 100% protection against every malware threat on the planet, So that's why you have 2nd opinions & alternatives. With malware these days, Even all every AV & AS together can't detect all malware - it is constantly growing and growing, and I can back up that claim.

SAS on-demand is a good choice. :thumb:

5. icr

icr Registered Member

You can also use Spybot S&D its free and i use it with my NIS for on demand scan only it doesn't in memory

6. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Spybot WAS a good antispyware, but is now enjoying a nice and quite retirement. I wouldn't use it right now, there are many better choices.
    Use SAS and, if you feel like it, add MBAM as a second opinion malware scanner.

SAS and MBAM=light, great support, great at removing nasties.

7. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I don't consider 'pretty good' to be a desireable level of protection.
    Since you already own it why not use it.
    Hugger

8. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

You are looking to solve a problem that for practical purposes doesn't exist. You have a proven track record of clean computing (no malware). Don't be tempted to use grossly disproportionate resources (your time, money, and computing power) at an insignificant risk.

You don't need more active protection from malware. You are sufficiently protected. What you haven't mentioned is the contingency plan in case you are infected or some other much more likely catastophe were to happen, such as hardware malfunction, theft, bad install or update, or data corruption. You need a backup and/or imaging routine. Have one already? Then enjoy your computer and your life.

9. icr

icr Registered Member

I tried SAS works good thanx

10. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Exactly,and IMO the most important security of all. a back up of a clean image to restore rather then countless hours of cleaning an infested machine or worse hardware failure.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  11. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

You shouldn't use Avira with SAS on real time. SAS only on demand. I don't even think you really need it.

12. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I recommend dumping the real-time antispyware and instead scanning higher-risk downloads with several on-demand antivirus apps.

13. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Why WAS it? And why do you say it's in retirement when it's still being downloaded and still gives updates?

14. Someone

Someone Registered Member

A few years ago Spybot and Adaware were the best. Now they are significantly worse at detecting real-world threats, hence the term "retirement", since there are much better alternatives.

15. truthseeker

How do you know they are worse at detecting new threats than SAS and MBAM?

16. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Ad-Aware now detects only tracking cookies, at most some well known rouges, like Spy Sheriff, but nothing more. Spybot detects more, it's particularly good with Rogues, but it isn't nearly as good as SAS or MBAM when dealing with and removing Trojans and/or Rootkits. Also SAS and MBAM update much more frequently, and are better with new Vundos.

17. truthseeker

How do you know this? What source of reference are you using? And what comparative testing have you done, and where are your results posted?

18. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Eh, experience. Why don't you just get your hands on some of those tons of malware-infested boxes your friends keep pestering you with and try it yourself. I've been using AdAware and Spybot for years, but it's become essentially useless. It's been unable to fix the infections for quite some time, you spend lots of time letting it scan and "clean" the system and all the popup windows and resource-eating malware junk is back on next reboot.

The guys simply cannot keep the pace ATM, so why not use something that really works instead? o_O

19. truthseeker

Ok. I use MAM and SAS anyway. I removed Spybot and Adaware

20. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Truthseeker,
    There's a difference between quantifiable evidence, anecdotal evidence, and hearsay. Unfortunately it seems the quantifiable evidence is in rather short supply when it comes to antispyware/anti-trojan products. On the other hand, there's a LOT of hearsay and anecdotal evidence available on the topic. Until some reliable authority performs an up-to-date comparative with a sound test methodology, you must take it all with a grain of salt, evaluate the source of the information, and make your choice. And that seems to be fine because
    1. very few people use an AS/AT as their first line of defense
    2. today's top-shelf AV's are probably as good as any dedicated AS/AT (though an AS/AT is usually a fine idea)
    3. if one isn't prepared with a contingency plan for infections, they're simply not covered
    4. malware isn't the only issue one needs to need be prepared for
    If there is such an-up-to-date comparative, someone please point it out to me.

21. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

We have a PC running very well with Avira and with SAS both real time. The difference is no CFW and no "boclean". All users IMHO need:

1) 2 way FW properly set up
    2) Top tier AV, Avira, Nod32 etc
    3) A solid ASW or AT like SAS
    4) A HIPS
    5) Imaging backup and recovery SW with images on external drive.

Which of 1 to 5 are you missing?

Each of 1 to 4 MUST have their exclusion options set to exclude all the others so as to minimize SW conflict. This is the likely cause of ;

Source reference? My own experience , good luck

PS it is possible to have two much security SW running in real time, 2 AV's clash, 2 HIPS etc.

22. truthseeker

Great post Steve Martin, oops, I mean optigrab :argh: :thumb:

23. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

See PC World article Are You Wasting Your Money Buying Antispyware Software?

This link shows on-demand detection rates of spyware and adware by various antivirus programs on 94,291 samples.

If you don't have any other solution, such as HIPS or LUA, to alert on or prevent bad behavior, then you may consider continuing to use an antispyware program that does so.

24. philebus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.