Do I really need it?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Auron, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auron

Auron Registered Member

Hi, I have a 2wire router and from what I understand it has a built in firewall so I am wondering if I need a separate software firewall apart from it.

2. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

router is enough for inbound protection but if you want outbound protection you can use additional software firewall

3. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

Well, I consider it a must to have a software firewall, because a hardware firewall only controls inbound connections, whereas a software firewall gives you control over what makes outbound connections- something I think needs to be definitely controlled, in my opinion. You'd be surprised just what all on your system attempts to connect to various places on the net...

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

5. boonie

boonie Registered Member

What other security programs do you run? Anything (HIPS) to monitor outbound connections? Hard to give advice with only a partial picture. Check out the link Stem left for you. The OP gave a pretty good idea of his security set up and surfing habits.

6. Auron

Auron Registered Member

I am currently with this test config Deep Freeze, Nod32, Ad muncher.

7. boonie

boonie Registered Member

Well then , it would be a matter of preference and behavior on your part. If you want to monitor outgoing connections, you could add a soft firewall, a HIPS, a firewall with HIPS (OA, Comodo), or a behavior blocker like Threatfire or Mamatu. However, if you use sensible computing practices, you have:
    a good AV
    and from what I've read, a good restore program
    a router and XP's firewall to protect from inbound threats
    So you seem well covered. So no, I wouldn't say you absolutely NEED it.
    You'll get a lot of different opinions on this. The important thing is to find a set up you're comfortable with, and take the time to maximize the safety of your system before adding new security programs, that is, running as a user not an admin., software restriction policy, local and internet security policies, keeping Windows and programs up to date, and DEP if your CPU is compatible.

8. Auron

Auron Registered Member

Thanks for all the input. I am interested in Eset's Smart Security I think their products are top notch, but I have read some reviews stating that it has a very basic firewall, however if I'd go for one it would probably be it.

Do you think that's a good firewall to check on my outbound protection?

9. boonie

boonie Registered Member

I have stayed with NOD2.7, so I can't answer re: ESS. Some swear by it, but you might want to look at this as well:
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/fir...ge/results.php
    You'll receive various opinions on the validity of this test, of course.
    Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, you'll get very few yes or no, black and white answers on this forum.
    On ESS, my advice would be to give it a go, and check out the thread here for developments and issues.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89

10. Auron

Auron Registered Member

Boonie:
    The scores of the first link you gave me indicate that Eset Smart security has a 5% score on their ranking system, Comodo gets 98% and reaches level 10.

This leads me to think that Smart security is pretty much useless I had thought different of Eset's products. :(

I'll continue with Nod32 while I check other alternatives.

11. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Auron,

You may want to check this out to understand how ESS protects you.

12. boonie

boonie Registered Member

Agreed. As I said, there are various opinions of Matousec's testing. ESS is certainly not useless. I wouldn't let one test dissuade you from trying ESS out. Perhaps I shouldn't have left the link for you, I meant it as a place to start your research. I would encourage you to check out the ESS threads here and other forums, and, ultimately, try it out for yourself and see how it runs on your system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.