Do I need to uninstall/reinstall with these symptoms?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Elray, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I have been experiencing big slowdowns with Nod32 scan times for a few weeks and now some intermittent freezes during both scheduled scans and In Depth Analysys. Nod has been taking around 33 minutes to scan 121790 files whereas it was always around 15 minutes for that number of files. During some recent "on demand" and scheduled scans the program has either just stopped working a few minutes into the scan or just frozen the system to the point of blacking out the screen & even the taskbar. The Nod window will still be there but nothing is happening and even though the mouse pointer will move nothing is clickable and nothing will bring up the Task Manager in order to end the process. After reboot the scans will run without problem - just taking a long time.

Everything else is working well on the PC. All other scans are working at normal speeds and are returning clean reports. My HijackThis log is clean as well. Nod is updating automatically and I have no other background monitoring programs (such as Ewido) operating during scans - just my firewall.

Is my only remedy to download a fresh copy and go through the routine of reinstalling and setting up again? I thought I had finished with all that nonsense when I got rid of Norton and fell in love with Nod32! Can somebody suggest issues may be worth looking at first and if not just remind me of the correct procedure getting an uninstall/reinstall done properly.

TIA,
    Elray. :'(

P4 2.4Ghz: 1GB DDR3200 RAM: 80GB HDD: Nvidia GeForce MX440:
    XP SP2: NOD32 2.5: ZoneAlarm: AdAware: Spyware Blaster: Spybot S&D:
    Ewido: MS Antispyware.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Elray

How do you have NOD set up? Are you using the command line settings?

3. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Hi Ronjor,

Hope I've understood your question correctly.

I set up Nod as per Blackspear's settings when I originally installed the program and have adjusted them after the upgrade to V2.5 - once again in line with the Blackspear post. Everything has run as usual with a scheduled scan weekly and an occasional "in Depth Analysis" run manually from the Nod32 module.

Elray

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I would suggest a reinstall. It is rare, however going between versions will occasionally cause an issue, so I would suggest the following:

Download a FRESH copy of Nod32 from www.nod32.com

Uninstall your current version.

REBOOT your Computer.

Remove the Eset Folder from C Drive> Program Files.

Install the FRESH copy of Nod32 that you downloaded above.

Let us know how you go…

Cheers :D

5. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Thanks Ronjor & Blackspear for your replies.

I was afraid that uninstall/reinstall would be the recommendation. I'll step myself through that later today and let you know how it goes.

Elray :doubt:

6. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Reporting back after going through the routine. I uninstalled, rebooted, deleted the Eset folder and removed traces from the registry before reinstalling the fresh copy. After updating to the database version 1.1193 I ran a scan of all my partitions from the Nod32 command centre.

Unfortunately so far there are no improvements in speed of scanning. Still very slow scanning drives C, D & E (139726 files in 00:34:30 mins) but there was no freeze during the scan.

I have set everything to the max as it was before and hopefully have the scheduled scan set up correctly so I just have to wait and see what happens at the next scheduled time.

It's a bit disappointing because I cannot think of anything that has happened with any of my installed programs which may have caused Nod to suddendly slow down and it's very frustrating.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Are you comparing this to v2.12.3?

Cheers :D

8. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Hi Blackspear,

Well, yes - I am comparing it with V 2.12 but I upgraded to v2.50 on June 18 so I am also comparing it to performance after that upgrade. I first noticed slowdowns during a scheduled weekly scan around the middle of July.

The only changes prior to that time were the usual upgrades of Firefox and M/S Patches. The Microsoft Update to Windows Uninstaller is the only problem I can recall having and that was merely second notification prompt after I had already installed and verified that it was there. In the end I reinstalled that particular update a second time. That happened about a week before I noticed the slowdown of Nod and the intermittent failure of the scans.

Surely if it was a corrupted file the issue would be fixed with the reinstall?

I can probably live with slower scans but this is the first real issue I have had with Nod32 since my initial learning curve nearly 12 months ago and I have been a little nervous as to whether there are other errors occuring in it's operation on this PC and subsequent holes in my security.

Thanks for your help.

Elray

9. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Hi Elray, first scan when NOD is (re)installed will take longer, at least in my experience. If you try a second scan now, does it take the same time to complete?

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Couldn't it be that you enabled SFX archives in NOD32 2.5? This option is new and did not exist in previous versions.

11. Elray

Elray Registered Member

I've just rescanned as per your suggestion, SSK, and the result is much the same. Thanks for your interest in my little problem.

Marcos, I presume you mean self extracting archives (SFX)? Yes, I do have that option checked as it is one of Blackspear's recommendations. I have had it checked since I upgraded in mid-June so it shouldn't have suddenly become a problem but I'll try scanning without that selection and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Elray.

12. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Marcos,

Perhaps you don't mean self-extracting archives. If I am wrong will you post back with what I should be looking at. Bear in mind that I may need interpretation!

Elray

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi Elray,
    yes, I meant self-extracting archives. If disabling them doesn't make any difference, try disabling archives or setting the default extension set instead of all files that are scanned by default, in order to narrow it down.

14. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Thanks Marcos,

I've tried the options you suggested. Disabling Self Extracting Archives shaved 1 minute from the scan time but reverting to the default set of file extensions does result halve the scan time. Of course, it also reduces the number of files scanned by around 45,000 which is not something I have ever had to do before.

I may just have to let well enough alone. At least I know my system should be clean. It's had 5 or 6 scans in the past 6 hours so there shouldn't be any little gremlins hiding in there!

Thanks for all your suggestions. Next time I need to uninstall for any reason I'll try another AV just for a comparison.

Elray.

15. UncleFester

UncleFester Registered Member

Any room on the HD?

16. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Hi Uncle Fester,

Thanks for your interest.

Yes, my Hard Drive has plenty of room. About 70% free so there shouldn't be a problem there.

Elray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.