Do I need to open port 853 for Quad9 TLS?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by laruru, Jul 6, 2018.

1. laruru

laruru Registered Member

Silly question but I can't find answer online - do I need to open port 853 for Quad9 TLS?

2. itman

itman Registered Member

Appears port 853 is the deflault for DNS:
    https://www.quad9.net/faq/

3. laruru

laruru Registered Member

I have heard that port 53 is normal for DNS queries, I do wonder do I need to force-open 853 for DNS over TLS with Quad9.

Also should I set Quad9 DNS manually for each computer or manually on router or manually for each computer and on router? Would using different DNS on router and different DNS set for computer matter?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Not inbound, but just setting up Quad9 as DNS will not make it work via TLS, you still need a software for it, like simplednscrypt, otherwise it will just run via port 53 as any other DNS.

5. laruru

laruru Registered Member

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Firefox Nightly is currently the only software I know capable of DoH (DNS over HTTPs), but I was not able to get it working. You could try it for testing.
    Code:
    https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/02/configure-dns-over-https-in-firefox/
    Bad example, sorry, I just meant, that DoH does not work simply by entering DNS servers. Quad9 merely supports DoH, but you need to find a software capable of using it.
    Like my browser supports dnscrypt (UDP only), so I am using SecureDNS via UDP port 5353, but the rest of the system is using normal DNS over 53, like Quad9 for example.

Attached Files:

7. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

for what? Browser? Windows?
    where? Firewall? router?

we need the details otherwise this ends up in a questionairy.

dns over https in firefox is not recommended. firefox also has its own dns cache.

anyhow running dns request the should ne filled into the routers formular for outbound dns servers, not in windows.
    thus makes the original question futile because a router has no port limitation.

8. laruru

laruru Registered Member

Currently I have one computer with Windows set to use Quad9 DNS, it's set in System>Networking for both IPv4 and IPv6. Browser and router are using default values. I have read on Quad9 website that their "DNS over TLS" requires port 853 open, I don't know if it defaults to this because from my understanding normal DNS port for Windows is 53. So I want to know should I:

1. Set also Quad9 DNS in router or will Windows setting take priority(it worked like that for me usually).

2. Open port 853 for Quad9 "DNS over TLS" on my Windows Firewall(global system port)

3. For browser, currently I have my browser in Firewall allowed application list, so I wonder does it also mean that if it needs port 853 it will open it for browser session.

9. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

As clearly stated on the dnscrypt-proxy github site, only DNSCrypt and DNS-over-HTTPS are supported - and not DNS-over-TLS (which makes sense because - as jedisctl1 himself says in that issue - DoH has benefits over DoT and is therefore the most promising protocol to be used in the coming years). There is a list of servers that support DNDCrypt and DoH. I suggest that your dnscrypt-proxy.toml file contains:

Code:
    # Use servers implementing the DNSCrypt protocol
    dnscrypt_servers = true

# Use servers implementing the DNS-over-HTTPS protocol
    doh_servers = true
    You might enable more switches:
    Code:
    ## Require servers defined by remote sources to satisfy specific properties

# Server must support DNS security extensions (DNSSEC)
    require_dnssec = true

# Server must not log user queries (declarative)
    require_nolog = true

# Server must not enforce its own blacklist (for parental control, ads blocking...)
    require_nofilter = true
    For load balancing 'p2' is probably the best option:
    Code:
    ## Load-balancing strategy: 'p2' (default), 'ph', 'fastest' or 'random'

lb_strategy = 'p2'
    More details here.

10. laruru

laruru Registered Member

That's okay, I do use dnscrypt-proxy on one of my computers but I am wondering about Quad9 "DNS over TLS" specifically here.

11. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

As mentioned, you can not use it with dnscrypt-proxy (it's only used as a non-encrypted fallback resolver). But perhaps Quad9 will support DoH before long?

Regarding opening port 853: I had used it with unbound on Fedora Linux and it was not necessary to specifically open that port. I guess it's not different on Windows.

12. laruru

laruru Registered Member

Strange, I have checked firewall logs and they show that 9.9.9.9 and 149.112.112.112 are trying to connect to my computer on variety of ports. Those are Quad9 DNS services. This is normal? Is there any way of verifying that Quad9 "DNS over TLS" is working properly on my computer?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  13. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

go figure and read some network basics...

14. laruru

laruru Registered Member

I'm not sure how this is an answer as all those requests are blocked but everything works fine. I am talking about hundreds of connections.

15. Be_Ta

Be_Ta Registered Member

As allready stated, you CANT use DNS OVER TLS (doT) with dnscrypt/proxy.
    You would have to use stubby for example, it can do DNS ovér TLS.

I myself use Stubby with DoT and DNSSEC Validation ON.

But im using teh unicast.uncensoreddns.org server for it instead of Quad9.

There are good tutorials to get it running:
    https://chefkochblog.wordpress.com/2018/01/13/working-with-stubby-under-windows/

To see if what you are doing is working in the end, you should use Wireshark, that will tell you if everything is in order.

Heres an Example of my Wireshark in wich you can see that my DNS requests are over TLS 1.2 and are Fully encrypted.

Screen:
    https://i.imgur.com/tzYDCGj.png

I tested DNScrypt before, but wasnt pleased with it, also DoT is more secure then DoH, so i ended up with stubby and im happy..it works like it should..

cheers

EDIT:

i did not have had to open my port on the Router for this to work.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.