Do I need software firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ingem64, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ingem64

ingem64 Registered Member

I am connected to internet by router with hardware firewall. I have also win XP firewall. Do I need soft firewall or change win firewall? Change for COMODOo_O? o_O o_O

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If you're the only one using the router, get a software firewall for outbound protection. If you're not the only one, more reasons to get one. XP's has inbound protection, and i don't know if it's good at that.

Software firewalls lets you control what programs can connect. By blocking the ones that don't need internet, you're closing doors.
    If you don't want this, inbound protection is covered with the router, depending on the router of course. If it has NAT Firewall protection, this is good, as long as it's configured right, and most come already configured.

What router do you use? And how many computers connect to it? More experienced members (others... not me) can help you better with this info:thumb:

3. ingem64

ingem64 Registered Member

I have router Vigor 2600 VGST. I connected it to internet without configuring.
    o_O o_O o_O

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

In the little info i got in english it seems to have a firewall. But i'm unable to see what kind of firewall.
    Only one computer uses the router?

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

ingem64:

IMHO the basic answer is "it depends on your internet activity and level of fear"

There are 2 kinds of threats, incoming which your router probably shields you from and outgoing, which is where you are exposed.

If you do nothing dangerous on your PC other than surf for food ideas for example and send the odd email about nothing exciting forget it and just use common sense in where you travel on the internet .

But on the other hand if you have a history of parasites on your PC and spam pouring in and you buy stuff on credit then you need to upgrade your protection!

I understand from this Forum that COMODO is a good IN/OUT Firewall so if you are concerned about sensitive information leaving your PC go get it!

You did not mention what you use for AV and ASW active and on demand because if your don't do those things you COULD be in trouble. BitDefender V8 is free so that's a possibility.

This is the best I can do for you at the moment. Others here may have other ideas as well. Good Luck!

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

T-com. It seems that you got this from your ISP. Is this right?

If you can tell us what this means, it helps us:) .

edit: it seems to provide good inbound, being NAT, but you should get a software one too, for not only inbound, but also outbound. More on this:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/firewall.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.