Do i need replacement for Windows 7 firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Peter4667, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Peter4667

Peter4667 Registered Member

I am planing to stay on Windows 7 till 2023 when the Microsoft extended security updates will end, and i am wondering if i need to replace the Windows 7 firewall with third party firewall. I am using Malwarebytes for malware scanner instead Windows Defender, since it will not receive updates any more, but for firewall is good enough to keep the Windows 7 firewall or it's better to use third party firewall that will receive updates regularly?

2. Surt

Surt Registered Member

Windows Firewall is a core essential firewall, the kind that's been around since day one in firewalls. They're rules based and, with exceptions, don't receive updates other than to fix issues. WFW for 7 has been stable for a good time now.

Your question should be, "Is there a better firewall?" There have always been better firewalls (though that field has greatly narrowed). And that goes for Windows 10.

You might think of adding a utility that offers easier management (i.e. application click to block) and adds additional layers of protection, GlassWire:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/posts/2804423/
    There is a lot of misunderstanding about and, unfortunately, bias against it and I tried to clear that up in that post. Most of those security settings are what evolved into and enhanced firewall software, becoming more than mere rules based. These firewall features often require a good knowledge of things under the hood; the wrong settings could bork it all up. GlassWire makes it done with checkboxes and does its job without risk. Pricing is on the high side, but if you run the trial, you should get popups offering a discount.
    https://www.glasswire.com/features/

Otherwise, you'll be getting more input here. Not having "shopped around" for a stand-alone (WFW replacement) in several years, I'm interested, too.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  3. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

MS security essentials is still getting updates on win7 for another three years so install that as well as Mbam

4. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

If all you need is inbound filtering, then Win 7 firewall is excellent.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

source of that false information? Windows 8 gets extended support until 2023 - for windows 7 consumers it ended right now this month.
    nevertheless there exist a security flaw in IE (11) and if there wont be a patch for win 7 then windows is definitely vulnerable it its basic. the problem behind is that IE is only the surface of the engine and the engine is part of the system and also used by other programs. it do not need any attack on IE it only needs a prepped page for other installed programs and bang.

to answer your question: you need a replacement for windows 7 in total.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thank You for that @Brummelchen Frankly I had lost track of the extension for Windows 8.1 of which this camp is been happily satisfied with all 4 corners of it. Windows 7 was skipped until 8's release. Dunno why, guess I was a XP diehard :D

7. Peter4667

Peter4667 Registered Member

8. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

and which line exactly?
    "2023" was only once noted with "EndPoint Protection" and this means NOT windows.

the headline has no space for misunderstanding:
    and "home" includes any build, home, pro, enterprise, etc if there wont be paid updates (500 clients per enterprise and more)

Windows 7 posready, embedded and compact will receive until end of 2020/2021 but those are very special builds.

9. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

If you did not need a 3rd party firewall until now for Windows 7, then you don't need one from now on either. Windows Firewall does not need new updates since it does not use any signature based algorithms for allowing or blocking purposes.

10. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

+1

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.