Do I need any AV or FW for Linux?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by beethoven, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I am just playing with an Ubuntu Distro that came with PCUser Mag called "UserOS Extreme :) - it's a modified Ubuntu 8.04.
    Never used Linus before and have no clue about it. Just wondered if there is any need for any AV or FW to be installed when using Ubuntu 8.04? I am sitting behind a router already :doubt:

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Dude, you don't need an anti-virus in Linux since 99.99999% of the malware in the wild is aimed at MS Windows. Some claim that this situation will change once malware writers start to focus on Linux but I sort of doubt that since the structure of Linux is so secure. The user only has one folder that he/she has unlimited access to and that's called Home. The rest of the Linux structure requires Root access.

Some people do run an anti-virus in Linux but it's for the benefit of other (email attachments, etc).

As far as a firewall? Well, personally I never did run one since I'm behind a router too, but firewalls are freely available for download should you wish to install one.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Only to keep windows virus at bay when they come through mail, also needed when you are running a mail server under Linux, otherwise no need for stand alone Linux. Use Firesarter which is an excellent GUI for IP chains Linux firewall.

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I agree with above statements.
    AV is not needed, unless you wan't to prevent mail virus spreading. Also, if you dual boot and have a common data partition for Win and Linux, you could use an AV for scanning that partition, but you can do that in Windows too.
    As said before, the Linux structure requires root access for any important change (like UAC but better), so it's very secure.

As for FW, firestarter is a good suggestion. It's simply a GUI for using iptables, a VERY powerfull tool.

5. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I use Avast Free for Linux on my Ubuntu Partition, just to occasionally scan files that I forward to windows users. Though if my antivirus program was a book, it would have about 2 inches of dust on it.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

No AV here, only Firestarter for built-in iptables firewall.

7. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

A firewall isn't of much use since Ubuntu has no ports open by default.

If there are ports that have been opened up for some reason, then that's another story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.