Do hackers take the weekend off?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Knot2Brite, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knot2Brite

Knot2Brite Registered Member

My last ESET update, 2967, is 41 hours old. Friday, 5:45 p.m. EDT until currently Sunday, 2:43 p.m.

During the week they update at least twice, sometimes three times in a 24 hour period.

Does anyone know why we shouldn't be protected over the weekend?

2. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

what virus do you need protecting against?

tbh people who sit watching their updates really need to get out of the house more:rolleyes:

3. dr pan k

dr pan k Registered Member

there is a gentlemens agreement: no new virus on weekends from the hackers and no new definition updates from eset.

its actually an old story..eset europe wont create signaturs on weekends (european time that is)...

4. Knot2Brite

Knot2Brite Registered Member

I first turned to NOD32 after I realized SpySweeper didn't "do" anti-spyware on weekends. The AV from Sophos updates on weekends.

Methinks I would be wise to re-think my choices in anti-spyware and anti-virus software.

A bad guy might think the weekend is a good time to release. If more than Webroot and ESET take the weekend off, they might be right.

Does anyone know of a 24/7 AV/AS company? A slightly less capable program, but updated 7 days a week, might be a good choice.

K2B

5. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Im not sure but i fink vba,drweb and avira update during weekends. I wouldn't call them lesser av's either.

6. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

So if there is no malware then there is no need for updates? By all means turn of your auto updates.

7. dr pan k

dr pan k Registered Member

@knot2brite : major % of your protection depends on heuristic and advanced heuristic. i would not drop eset for not updating during weekends but if u really want to change maybe u should take a look yourself at the updates of other av. check this : https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34 it will give u an idea for the update frequency of various vendors.

8. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hi guys!

Don't worry, if some new threat with massive spreading appears and ESET won't detect it with advanced heuristic or critical false positive appears, then analysts will make new update very fast from their homes. ;)

When you check Virus Radar, you find out that activity of threats is relatively small - last standard: phishing, Netsky and Stration.

We, in Slovakia, have got holidays and everyone need relax and be with family. :)

9. stratoc

stratoc Guest

if it's not so important why do we have so many on a week day?

10. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Between important and "important" is difference.

1. important - Addition of every undetected sample is necessary, yes.
    2. "important" - The most important is detection of threats with high spreading in the wild (worms spreading via IM protocols and emails, link in email refers to malware site, etc. I got this email few days ago and I tried download that files. I was protected by generic detection - probably a variant of Win32/Genetik trojan.)

No other haven't got the same number of updates during free days and week.

Don't worry! Next update will be soon, I feel it. :cool:

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Iv'e seen it happen many times, (but granted not every weekend) where Eset has updated several times as in more than twice.

12. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

yeh but you must understand that people have nothing to do except sit in their house and watch their antivirus update!:D

13. Don johnson

Don johnson Registered Member

As I know ESET lab researchers work 24x7:D

14. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

ESET's weekend update policy has been the same for a long time. If an outbreak occurs, they'll do an immediate update to address it. If one doesn't, then they probably won't send out an update. They explained that in this next thread from the middle of 2007, which then turned into a discussion of labor laws and sample priorities. :blink:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=176616

15. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

As you can see, at 05:27 AM (in Slovakia) update 2968 has been released. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.