Do different firewalls conflict?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by careyfarm, Dec 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. careyfarm

careyfarm Registered Member

:doubt: I have Zone Alarm Pro and NIS 2004 on one of my machines. I have xpsp2 firewall turned off. Do these two conflict? Some urls are tough to open.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Yes, anymore then 1 firewall, will cause unbalance.....

snowbound

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, and of the two, I'd vote for removing NIS...

4. careyfarm

What about conflicting with the router firewall, d-link?

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There's no conflict with the router. The router will give you good inbound protection, and ZA Pro will give you some outbound protection. The two should work well together...

6. careyfarm

Privacy settings seem to be a hassle in ZA for some urls. This normal?

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't know.. I never used the privacy stuff myself.. Maybe some others will know...

8. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

From what I have read about the latest version of ZAP, a lot of people are having problems with the Privacy settings. Just thought I would let you know so you dont feel left out :p

9. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

1 firewall is more than enough already, how many more firewalls do you want? :D :rolleyes:

10. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

You can run as many firewalls together as you want as long as they dont overlap or use the same methods, but I really dont see any advantages in running NIS with ZAP. ZAP is by far a better choice in my views.

Less than 300 to go nadirah :eek:

11. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I'm a PRO poster. :D

12. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

True enough I have most of it turned off and let other stuff pick up those jobs (run Adaware and having BoClean. With regular total cleanings). Way to many problems with ZAP features turned on. To much did not work on the net at times. I wonder if my security is not what it should be because of having all that stuff off.

I run last version of 5.1 before 5.5 with expired key. I really use it as a pure firewall with most of the bells and whistles off. I have no problems in that mode.
    :doubt:

13. mercurie

In my mind this is a risk I would not take. My understanding even when ZA is off some parts of True Vector is still running and will cause problems. Also it is to easy for me to make a mistake and forget what is on what is off. Boom...locked up. For me it's just not worth it. For those of you who can do it more power to you. And thank you. I learn much by just hanging around and making what contributions I can based on my experiences. :ninja: :) ;)

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Mercurie, do you find that with an expired key ZA pops up a subscription notice every time you reboot? I had that happen with my ZA Plus 4.0.146.029 copy when my ZA Pro key recently expired. I couldn't turn it off either. The check for updates option was frozen in the ON position and you couldn't change it.

I had to buy another key just so I could use ZA Plus when I want to. Yeah, I broke down and bought one.. :)

15. mercurie

No that does not happen with my ZAP 5.1x, but when my key expired ZAP was not set to come on at start. My reason is my machine is a little older and I wanted to allow AV, BoClean and UPS System monitoring to get up and running first before adding the ZA burden on resources. (I am behind a wireless hardware firewall router so the risk to system from intrusion is minimal for this short time). It did take some doing to stop those pop ups. I did the above and also red Xed all the Zone Lab Client Permissions. I got the warning of course from the software...but we will not be able to bother you with the "your behind in your updates"...LOL. Also of course, my Check For Updates, in Preferences is set for Manual as well... and of course, I do not share any of my settings with Zone Labs either. With all of the above I still got one last time, one more reminder. I had to tell that pop up "not to remind me again." It's been a while since my last reboot, so I tested it for you and got no popup. None.
    :D

Sorry, to hear about your ZAPlus 4. I am a little afraid to try using it now with my expired key. :(

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, I think you might run into trouble now, unfortunately... I had no idea it would do that either. Oh well. I figured $19.95 isn't really that much to pay for a new key. But if you don't want to buy a new key then I guess you may have to stick with 5.x after all... ;)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  17. suebaby41

suebaby41 Registered Member

I can only tell you what happened to me. I had sygate installed and decided to reinstall zone alarm. I downloaded zone alarm. When it said to restart to finish, I said ok. I had forgotten to uninstall sygate. When my computer tried to restart, it got as far as the logon windows screen and before I could logon, the computer shut down. It appeared to be in a loop. I was able to get on by F12 and rebooting from the installation cd. I had to repair windowxp. Then I had to update and the service pack 2 was installed. I had already installed it but somehow, it disappeared. I don't know the technical stuff involved. I was just glad to get the computer back. I will be very careful in the future.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.