DNSCrypt through Tor

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Hultraman, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hultraman

Hultraman Registered Member

is there any way to redirect DNSCrypt throut tor

I use Proxifier to redirect my browsing through tor, but I believe the DNS queries are not going through tor, since I read two connections in my firewall, one TCP which is TOR, and the other is UDP which is DNSCrypt,
    I know DNSCRYPT will encrypt my queries, but when it reaches the server they will know my location

before installing DNSCrypt, I used Proxfier option resolve hostname through proxy, and I believe all my dns queries were going through Tor

How can I force DNSCrypt to go through tor, so my location can be hidden?

2. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

3. doveman

doveman Registered Member

How about if I don't use Tor most of the time, so need DNSCrypt to connect directly most of the time but then when I launch Tor Bundle, I obviously don't want DNSCrypt sending all my lookups outside of Tor?

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The TOR Browser Bundle probably sets the about:config field (network.proxy.socks_remote_dns) to true which forces the browser request to use the TOR Exit node's DNS service - not your normal ISP's DNS server. At the Exit node, they do not know the original user's location/IP address, only the TOR middle hop's location/IP address.

Ergo, when using TOR, check the about:config webpage in the Firefox browser and type in the field dns or remote_dns to see the value of network.proxy.socks_remote_dns - it should be set to true. Note: this in no way compromizes the users DNS requests while using TOR. When not using TOR, that would be the time to be setup for DNScrypt.

-- Tom

5. doveman

OK, thanks. So what you're saying is that TOR should be using it's own DNS and not DNSCrypt and we should disregard what subhrobhandari said?

6. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I'm wondering if subhrobhandari misunderstood the question, language barrier?
    His response looks to apply to having an exit node use DNSCrypt.

7. doveman

Ah I see, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.