DNSCrypt through Tor

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Hultraman, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hultraman

Hultraman Registered Member

is there any way to redirect DNSCrypt throut tor

I use Proxifier to redirect my browsing through tor, but I believe the DNS queries are not going through tor, since I read two connections in my firewall, one TCP which is TOR, and the other is UDP which is DNSCrypt,
    I know DNSCRYPT will encrypt my queries, but when it reaches the server they will know my location

before installing DNSCrypt, I used Proxfier option resolve hostname through proxy, and I believe all my dns queries were going through Tor

How can I force DNSCrypt to go through tor, so my location can be hidden?

2. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

3. doveman

doveman Registered Member

How about if I don't use Tor most of the time, so need DNSCrypt to connect directly most of the time but then when I launch Tor Bundle, I obviously don't want DNSCrypt sending all my lookups outside of Tor?

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The TOR Browser Bundle probably sets the about:config field (network.proxy.socks_remote_dns) to true which forces the browser request to use the TOR Exit node's DNS service - not your normal ISP's DNS server. At the Exit node, they do not know the original user's location/IP address, only the TOR middle hop's location/IP address.

Ergo, when using TOR, check the about:config webpage in the Firefox browser and type in the field dns or remote_dns to see the value of network.proxy.socks_remote_dns - it should be set to true. Note: this in no way compromizes the users DNS requests while using TOR. When not using TOR, that would be the time to be setup for DNScrypt.

-- Tom

5. doveman

OK, thanks. So what you're saying is that TOR should be using it's own DNS and not DNSCrypt and we should disregard what subhrobhandari said?

6. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I'm wondering if subhrobhandari misunderstood the question, language barrier?
    His response looks to apply to having an exit node use DNSCrypt.

7. doveman

Ah I see, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.