DMDE - Disk Editor and Data Recovery Software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Seer, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Please bear with me.
    Several times in my life I had the opportunity to recover data from accidentaly formatted or erased disks. I generaly had great succes with the usual commercial apps like Recuva, RTT R-Studio, EaseUS and similar.
    A few months ago I ran into a particularly nasty case - I don't know how the data on the disk was exactly damaged, the 2TB disk belonged to a friend's friend whom I never saw. All I knew is that the disk was on NTFS in a single primary partition, used for storage only and chock full of PSDs - Photoshop's proprietary layered document format - the guy was a photo pro.
    I ran full scans with each of the mentioned apps (3 or 4 of them) for a couple of days/nights but neither of them found anything except a few preview jpgs. I almost gave up and was about to send the guy to the pros.
    I don't know how exactly I stumbled upon this app but I decided to try it since I had nothing to lose. I ran an overnight full scan and in the morning I was - amazed is an understatement, as I did not expect it to find anything at all.
    The app found and succesfully restored 99% of all PSDs. The documents were checked later on by the owner and he confirmed that the images were not damaged. Not one of them.
    I used the free version and the difference with the paid is that the free has a limit on how much data in GBs it can restore in a single run. But if you restore folder by folder then you can circumvent this, though it requires some manual labor. But still, the sheer amount of data found is amazing.

Has anyone heard of this app? I never saw it mentioned here, I did a search. I also searched the web for 'best data recovery' and such and it is sorely missing.

If nothing, this thread can serve as an honest personal experience and a heads up for this great little app.

DMDE - DM Disk Editor and Data Recovery Software

EDIT: Strange, I did a search earlier and no results came up. Now I see it mentioned sporadically, but I still think it desrves it's own thread.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

:thumb: Thanks for posting this. (I had completely forgotten about it)
    It is a very powerfull recovery tool.
    I have used it once in 2008 to rebuild a raid array and a second time in 2009 to rebuild an extended partition table zapped from my primary disk during the installation of Rollback RX 9.1.
    In both cases it was the only one from a dozen recovery apps that I tried that got the job done.

Panagiotis

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi Panagiotis :)

What I also forgot to mention is that this app overpowered even the famed HDD Regenerator, the one I had success with on a couple of occasions.
    The best thing about their site is the 'Reviews' section, those are real people down there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.