DLL manipulation in User space installs?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Melf, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melf

Melf Registered Member

I am not too scared of DLL injection/manipulation for most programs, since they are protected under UAC. But certain programs default install to User space (eg Chrome, Dropbox on my machine).

What's a good approach to stop these being tampered with, while still allowing them to update themselves, and without having to go the route of "DLL protection" which invariably slows down the system in most implementations I've seen?

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Hello, Melf,

Can you give an example of "being tampered with?"

thanks,

----
    rich

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Appguard has dll protection, and it does not slow down my system. I have it installed on 8 machines. I have not seen any reports of it slowing down anyones machines. Its very resource friendly. Much lighter on the system than any traditional AV I have ever tried.

4. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

You can use Chrome alternate installer and install it in %Programfiles% - installation for all user accounts.

http://support.google.com/installer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=126299

Back to question: you can use some kind of HIPS, if you want control over dll injections. Malware Defender is one option, although I don't control dll loading and don't know if it would slow down the system.

5. Cutting_Edgetech

Is Malware Defender still only 32 bit compatible? Appguard is 32 bit, and 64 bit. It's an AE instead of a HIPS though, but it still has dll protection. Melf needs to let us know what OS he is using.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  6. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Yes, Malware Defender is 32 bit only :(

7. Cutting_Edgetech

That's a shame. Its such a great product :(

8. Melf

Melf Registered Member

I was thinking of DLLs being overwritten, because they are in a non-protected location in disk. This would bypass a whitelisting approach, unless DLLs are also required to be whitelisted. Despite the reports of others above me in this thread, this can often come with significant performance issues (I think it will depend in large part on the particular application which might explain the different experiences).

So, I am wondering about options that do not require a reinstall or scrutinizing every DLL. Perhaps something that guards that location in disk from processes that aren't installed there? We have to allow the program itself access without letting other programs modify it, ideally.

9. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

You can achieve this with Malware Defender's file rules. You can protect whatever you want and allow only some application read/write/create/delete permissions on specific files. Location of files is not important. No system slowdown when using this feature in my experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.