dive letters changed getting crashes

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by brummie, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brummie

brummie Registered Member

Dear list,

Hi there got acronis to restore 2 os's, I have two os's installed on two separate drives one is tuned to music one to graphics, both when booted seprately thought they were c drive.

Now I have imaged them and put the two drives to a striped raid, for speed, I created a partition and got the first parition to run fine as the drive letters havent changed from c. However the second drive now comes up as D drive. Now when I put the image back obviously all the drives paths are wrong in image, so I have to reinstall some software however now there are sum elements like svhost .exe and ntdll.dll are not changed and looking at the errors they think are still on c drive.

any one know how to correct this as I dont want to do a fresh install thats the idea of a image product. Can this be achieved in image home ??.

anyone help me on this one.

cheers

brummie

2. brummie

changing drive letter on second partition force to c drive or change progshelp please

Dear list,

Hi there got acronis to restore 2 os's, I have two os's installed on two separate drives one is tuned to music one to graphics, both when booted seprately thought they were c drive.

Now I have imaged them and put the two drives to a striped raid, for speed, I created a partition and got the first parition to run fine as the drive letters havent changed from c. However the second drive now comes up as D drive. Now when I put the image back obviously all the drives paths are wrong in image, so I have to reinstall some software however now there are sum elements like svhost .exe and ntdll.dll are not changed and looking at the errors they think are still on c drive.

any one know how to correct this as I dont want to do a fresh install thats the idea of a image product. Can this be achieved in image home ??.

anyone help me on this one.

cheers

brummie

3. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

Re: changing drive letter on second partition force to c drive or change progshelp please

you have the exact same problem i have- its the only reason i cant use the image i restored- all my programs point to E, but windows changed it to D

i wish i knew of a solution ;(

4. brummie

Re: changing drive letter on second partition force to c drive or change progshelp pl

I hope we get one here, I am sure its fixable but how I dont know how. I has looked at some stuff but its doesnt answer it, I rekon its gunna be a refedit somewhere, if only I could see all the commands that say c in the registry then I can change them all to d, so its looking the write place, I can get most of it working write, but then there a few that dont and wont change, how annoying, I got the imaging software to get away from the need for clean reinstalls.

cheers

brummie

5. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Re: changing drive letter on second partition force to c drive or change progshelp please

I don't know if this will help, but do a search for COA32 (Change Of Address).
    Here's a start - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1197172,00.asp

Looks like latest is COA2.

6. brummie

7. brummie

Re: changing drive letter on second partition force to c drive or change progshelp pl

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188/EN-US/

if the drives letters are just wrong but you can boot up, boot up to safe mode, log on as an administrator and follow the article above, worked for me first time.

cheers

brummie

8. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

Ok- I restored my image, but it wasnt bootable- so I did a repair install of windows, which then was bootable, but the drive had changed from E to D so nothing worked- but fortunately thanks to the guide posted above, I got it changed back to E, and now all my programs work.

There are a few odd things though, like when I click adminstrative tools> disk managment, it says failed to load snap in, and wont work.

Also, when I went to try and install service pack 1, it wont work, saying "windows server 2003 has been partially updated, and may not work properly"

I tried doing a sfc (system file check), and a couple other things, but I just cant get it installed, does anyone have an idea of what may be wrong?
    thanks in advance

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

brummie, can you please clarify if you can boot your second Windows?
    Please let us know if you receive any error messages on bootup.

Could you please also tell us the version of Windows you use?
    Why do you think that second Windows assigned its boot volume D: letter?

chrome_sturmen, could you please clarify what exact error messages you received after the restoration(before you repaired Windows)?

Thank you.
    --
    Anton Sherkhonov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.