Disturbed and filled with Questions!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by B0mbardo, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B0mbardo

B0mbardo Registered Member

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

WOW... Eset fails miserably.... It seems that ESET has lost it all in just a year.

3. saberfox

saberfox Former Poster

The reason for this is that ESET has no "proactive protection instruments" to speak of (HIPS, behavior blockers, etc). The tester was testing ESET for a defense mechanism that wasn't even there.

4. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

But ESET does claim to protect your system fully with their instruments... And it certainly doesn't, looking at the vids.

From the Eset website:

ESET delivers the fastest, most effective and most proactive antivirus and antispyware software solution to eliminate viruses, spyware, adware, worms, trojans, rootkits and other malware before they attack your system. Nobody does proactive protection better than ESET!

Well, again: watch the video and see where ESET fails. On almost all of what they promise in their website text.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This presentantion is NOT BASED ON REALITY. In real life, the user would need to get that malicious file from somewhere. If it's actually detected (by a standard or generic signature, or by Advanced heuristics), it WOULD HAVE BEEN NEUTRALIZED AND QUARANTINED when being written to the disk so it would have had no chance to perform any malicious action. The guy said he enabled all options before doing the test. But if the file was actually recognized (by AH/generic signatire) and the guy actually enabled AH/RTP on access, THE FILE WOULD NOT RUN at all. So what gives? o_O o_O o_O I'm sorry, but it really seems to me biased, unfair and taken completely out of the reality for the reasons I've mentioned.

6. Melchi501

Melchi501 Registered Member

Between Outpost Security, Kaspersky 7.0 and Ess who wins? Outpost Security.

The tester is Igor Pankov : "Igor joined Agnitum in 2003 as a security consultant and later became Product Manager for the Outpost firewall product range(...)"

But it's just a coincidence n'est-ce pas ?:shifty:

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

He disabled all signature-related scanners :rolleyes: and as you said the "presentantion is NOT BASED ON REALITY". So with that protection disabled, the test now proceeds to attempt to show how ESS acts when "HIPS function are active".

It's at that point I have questions. Is ESS considered a true HIPS and does Eset "promise in their website text" as the poster above is claiming :doubt:

ESSfud.JPG

8. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I must be stupid but the test did not prove anything to me. If you disable important functions in an antivirus/firewall program, how can you then expect it to perform at its best?
    Supposedly turning off the same functions in different pieces of software is not a good comparison because it is not known if what is left is operating in a similar manner.
    This test is meaningless to me. I'll stay with ESS.

9. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

So what virus protection program is this guy pushing. Usually there is an alterior motive behind things like this. As previously stated how can you test ESS with the options disabled? I have had Eset on my Puter for years and am all over the Web and NEVER have had any virus attacks.
    Some more explanations by the ESET people to help ease my mind would be appreciated.
    Thanks

10. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

Yes, and only if it was detected. As has been stated in other places no one detects 100%. Turning off the signature based portion is a valid way to simulate malware that is undetected by the blacklisting or behavioral analysis.

Equally valid to my mind would be to disable all features of any security program to simulate something that gets around it. These type of tests only show that if something is malware and not blocked it does bad things. Hence the name malware one supposes.

I do not think this is a support issue though. Perhaps it could be moved to a new thread entitled Silly Tests or Marketing did what!?

11. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Its Quite a Biast test.

Since Kaspersky 7.0 Default level of protection was only that way to reduce popups... put the " Full " Proactive " " Settings on and make the firewall on Training mode and then lets see what happens -.-

Its a biast test because all suites should be tested with " FULL Proactive defence" Options on. that way you can properly judge the effectiveness of the suite.

12. GAN

GAN Registered Member

Of all the useless tests this one must be among the worst and regarding outpost the test show that neither outpost proactive defense detect the threat. Everyone can add an annoying popup each time something is written to registry or some files is changed, but that doesn't mean the application can detect threats. A good security program should inform you when some threats is detected and never bother you if everything seems to be fine.....then they have a piece of software with good threat detection. Security applications that ask you a question every minutes because they are not capable of separate real threats from normal behavior i find to be useless and very annoying. The annoying popup that always ask for permission regardless of a threat or not is nothing to brag about. How should a user that is not familiar with the registry and computers know when they should click "allow" and when they should click "deny" if they see the warning "Application is attempting to modify a critical object". This warning seems like a bad idea to allow in any case and require that you know for sure if the file is clean or not. For a lot of people it's impossible to distinguish a infected file from a clean file with such a warning.

Not to mention the guy that performed the test works or recently worked for Agnitum and the fact that this test is useless because most of the modules is disabled. This is also the first test i read where outpost beats kaspersky and nod32. Most of the tests i have seen so far rate nod32 and kaspersky pretty high.

13. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

This test does prove things. It does prove that Eset completely lacks a Behaviour blocker. BUT, this doesn't mean that Eset isn't providing sufficient protection. Because besides it's good heuristic detection, if the real time protection was on the virus would have been neutralized before it could actually do anything. And maybe even if it wasn't in signatures yet it could be detected using heuristics.

So the tester made some errors in his testing:

-Disabled heuristic detection in ESS, because after all isn't heuristics made to detect new viruses Before they are executed?
    -Used partial protection in KIS 7, and didn't use Registry guard, which should have alerted when the virus would have tried to put itself in the startup entry, function which Outpost Firewall DID use.
    -There is no mention of which exact version of programs may have been used. The Malfunctioning guard of KIS 7 may have meant that they're either using a beta software or a build known for those kind of issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.