Distribution Release: PCLinuxOS 2011.6

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06753

http://www.pclinuxos.com/

PCLinuxOS KDE 2011.6 for 32 and 64 bits computers is now available for download. A 64 bit only release will be available in the coming weeks. PCLinuxOS KDE 2011.6 features the following updates.

What’s new:

Kernel – The kernel was updated to version 2.6.38.8. Additional kernels are available from our repositories such as a PAE kernel for computers with more than 4 gigs of memory. A BFS kernel for maximum desktop performance and a standard kernel with group scheduling enabled.

Xorg - Xorg server was updated to version 1.10.2. Mesa updated to 7.10.3 and libdrm to version 2.4.26. This update brings enhancements to the PCLinuxOS desktop including speed, 3D desktop support for most Intel, Nvidia and AMD/ATi video cards, better font rendering, black screen fixes for most Nvidia cards, better Flash playback and more. The most recent versions of Nvidia and AMD/ATi video drivers are included on the LiveCD and automatically configured for you. The bad news is users with older legacy video cards included in most dated computers may not function properly due to many depreciated xorg video drivers.

Toolchain – Gcc software compiler was updated to version 4.5.2 and glibc updated to 2.10.1. Locales were updated to version 2.12.1.

Package Manager – RPM was updated to version 4.8.1. apt-get and the Synaptic Package Manager were also updated to work with the updated rpm packages. yum and yumex will be available in the coming weeks as an alternative package manager.

Theme Update – The 2011 release received a full makeover. PCLinuxOS features a new brush metal theme including updates to grub, plymouth, kdm, kdesplash and application splash screens. Additional themes are available as well as our previous theme from our software repository.

Theme screenshots located here: http://goo.gl/il3CG

Remastering Tools – mylivecd was updated to work with the latest release. mylivecd added the ability to install PCLinuxOS from the boot menu without having to go to the desktop first. There are 3 compression schemes available now for remastering your installation. xz maximum compression, xz normal compression and gzip for fast compression. xz max takes longer to generate the LiveCD but produces the most compressed image where as gzip will create a LiveCD fairly quick but the compressed image will be larger. mylivecd can also generate a LiveDVD with up to 4 gigs of compressed data. Usually a 10-12 gig installation will compress into a 4 gig DVD.

Software – PCLinuxOS 2011 LiveCD come with the latest versions of most popular programs such as KDE 4.6.4, Firefox 5.0, Thunderbird 3.1.11, Pidgin 2.9.0, VLC 1.10.0 and Clementine 0.7.1 just to name a few. OpenOffice Manager has been replaced with LibreOffice Manager. Due to the limited size of the LiveCD the office suite is not included but can be installed through the LibreOffice Manager either in LiveCD mode (3 gigs memory required) or preferably after hard drive installation. Addlocale has updated translations and can convert a PCLinuxOS installation into over 70 different languages. The software included on the LiveCD was based on community feedback as to what the PCLinuxOS users wanted to be included by default.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Awaiting XFCE release, I was wondering when they'd finally provide a new version (longest wait yet).

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

The real news here is a 64-bit version. :thumb:

Since PCLinuxOS is a rolling release distribution, users who have been keeping up-to-date (Synaptic Package Manager updates) are of course already updated, no need to download and install this.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, that's great news indeed..... :)

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Actually one can update to XFCE 4.8 by switching to the XFCE4 repository and downloading and applying all updates.

6. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

Awesome distro, at least :)

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Anyone know what's the difference between the 32 & 64 bit one available now, and the 64 bit only coming in a few weeks? Does the one available now install your choice of 32 or 64 bit? Or what?

8. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

The one available now is a 32-bit version, as such it will run on both 32-bit and 64-bit computers. The 64-bit release will only run on 64-bit computers.

9. mack_guy911

as chrisretusn already mentioned right now only 32 bit is available

the main advantage of using 64 bit is only when you have more than 4GB ram because 32 bit only supports till 3.5 gb ram mostly

more ram can be supported by adding PAE(Physical Address Extension) kernel but thats the different story :D

so its always advisable to use 64 bit only ..............when having Ram ≥ 4GB it give little performance boost

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, thanks to both of you. I wasn't clear on what was going on exactly. I'll wait for the 64 bit version then. Thanks again.

11. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I use to dual boot PCLinuxOS and Windows XP. It is one of the top distros imo. I like it much better than Ubuntu. I'll have to download the new version. :thumb:

12. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

If you have PCLinuxOS installed, you don't need to install new version.
    Simply run Synatpic Package Manger and install all available updates :)

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I don't bother installing updates on my Linux virtual machines, because they use up a lot of bandwidth, can cause problems, and new versions are released for free regularly anyways.

14. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

It rocketed to #1 on Distrowatch since its release! :D

15. mack_guy911

just testing awesome distro nothing to complain about expect the default fonts :D

working very well playing video chatting on pidgin and system and network monitor firefox all running under 530 MB ram

best part i like is its only distro which is truly out of box nvidia default installed i dont have to do single install which is good for newbies for libre office 3.4 there is icon which you have to click and install latest one pretty well job done

16. mack_guy911

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just had a look at the live cd. I am really impressed with this one. This is a very smooth and polished release, and everything just seems to work. I can't wait for the 64 bit version coming soon... :thumb:

18. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

It doesn't seem to remember desktop resolution settings:( It has be manually changed after every login.

Update: Sorted the issue under hardware-video card settings:)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.