Distressingly slow Avira AntiVir free's update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rOadToIS, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Seems like your the only one having issues like I told you yesterday.No problems here on about 5 computers,all family computers.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Slow, compared to the Premium, Classic Update Servers have been known for years and problems can be geographically/time of update- dependent.

So just because your Home network is flying does not mean everyone else is the same boat.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I have also no problems, it ussually takes ~10 secs to update manually, as for automatic, I do not even notice, since I set it to invisible. :)

4. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

You should be fine with your setup. SBIE and CIS make a nice combo IMHO. All my Avira updates are anywhere from 10~45secs depends how large the files are. I might want to add that I have a very quick fiber optics connection which does speed things up a bit. The previous versions of Avira did have slow updates no matter how fast the connection was. But with version 9 this has been rectified.

Ice

5. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Not true anymore as they've since upgraded their servers awhile back.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Both premium and free are updating fine here in India.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Wonder if it could have anything to do with Comodo or something else? I have no issues with Premium here, nor did I with the Free version, and it seems that most others are fine also. I'd look for some kind of conflicts on your setup....

8. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

I have no problems at all with Avira Free updates. Actually it's faster than ever.
    Disable your firewall and try to update. Check if users that live in your area have the same problems. Some times some internet routes become nasty. Last resort try to unistall and install again.

9. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Your just having a ton of problems arent you? No way in hell on my computer, does it take 50% CPU power,nowhere close. Something is wrong with your computer setup.

According to my settings,it updated May 9th,but sometimes on the weekends,they dont issue an update until maybe sometime Sunday.

10. waters

waters Registered Member

Maybe Comodo,no probs here

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Looks like Avira is not for you, you have so far had issues neither of other Avira users have had so far.

12. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Perhaps something did not uninstall cleanly and is causing a conflict.

No problem with updates here on the premium version. Also, logs show 3 updates yesterday and 2 so far today.

13. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

CPU pick during update for me too...think it's normal. Most of the programs during updates consume cpu power.

Avira free during weekends gets no updates or it does rarely. Usually they stop the updates friday night (GMT time) and restart the releases Sunday afternoon.

14. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Actually Avira checks for updates hourly...those 5 updates between yesterday and today were when files were actually updated. I looked at the logs closer and there was only 1 definition update. The others updated combinations of files webcat1.dat thru webcat4.dat.

15. ups4

ups4 Registered Member

@ssj100,

Do you happen to have the "Update to Premium" nag screen disabled or defeated in some way?

Paul

16. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

17. Arup

Arup Guest

Glad that you persisted instead of giving up, Avira won't dissapoint you.

18. IceCube1010

I find Avira and SAS a perfect compliment for on-demand scanning. Avira not so bad in realtime also. :D

Ice

19. IceCube1010

haha! You are right!

Ice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.