Displaying username/password involuntarily

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Green Giant, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

When using IE7 and entering my username/password in the logon box, either the username or password is shown above the eneterd input in clear. Fortunately I am the only one to use my PC, but I find this a worrying lapse in security.

How please do I stop this?

I have tried to attach a screen print to illustrate what is happening, but one is in .odt and the other in .rtf format.

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Get Firefox browser. :)

3. Green Giant

Thanks! I do have Firefox and also Safari browsers. In the absence of a solution I shall have to use these.

4. Green Giant

I believe that I need to disable tooltips in IE7 so should be glad of any advice as to how to do this please.

5. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

One quick way to get an image of what's on your screen is to hold down the "Alt" key and then also press the key with "PrintScreen" (this will copy the screen image to the clipboard).

Open up a program like Paint, and select Paste (under Edit). This will paste the contents of the clipboard into your new paint document.

Save this document in the format you need, such as .jpg.

6. Green Giant

Grateful thanks for your help Dogbiscuit!

7. Green Giant

here is a screen print of what I have been trying to describe:

Attached Files:

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Haven't used IE for a while: is that some "autocomplete" function turned on, or, an option somewhere to 'remember' username/password

Check tools > Internet options maybe

I just checked: search the help file in IE7 for 'Autocomplete':

HTH

9. Green Giant

Thanks for your posting Longboard.

I disabled Autocomplete yesterday, and have just rechecked that this facility is unchecked, but the wretched display of confidential information persists.

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

"Control Panel (or tools from IE)> Internet options> security> (each internet zone you wish to disable/enable)>Custom> (scroll to the bottom)"select obvious option.
    Should work...

Attached Files:

11. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

When the URL as shown in your screen print is used in Firefox the username is displayed; however, the password shows as asterisks.

12. Green Giant

Thanks to both Tarq57 and to AKAJohnDoe.com, but IE7 already set as shown in image provided by Tarq57.

Problem of revealed passwords (instead of just dots) only seems to happen with IE7, not Firefox or Safari for Windows.

This annoyance has only occurred recently, so assume it may be connected with installing WinXP SP3.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

How do I transfer the newly saved document into a reply in a thread? Thanks in advance. :)

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I made Firefox my default browser and don't use IE any more. MS updates aren't affected. :D No problems.

15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

@ Green Giant,

Is this happening on other sites when you attempt a login ?

Bubba

16. Green Giant

Bubba,
    The duplicate display of usernames, (or passwords in both dots and in clear) seems only to happen with IE7. I haven't noticed it if I use Firefox or Safari for Windows. I am using IE7 as I type this and words are repeated sometimes above what I type in this box.

I have checked that Autocomplete is off.

This problem may have arisen after installing WinXP SP3.

Hope this helps!

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That is helpful info in as much as you're now saying it's not just localized to login boxes correct ?

It'll hit like a ton of bricks when it finally comes to me but I do recall something similar in I believe a thread @ dslreports.com many moons back.

In any case I'll see if I can do a search there until my memory quits failing me o_O

Bubba

18. Green Giant

Correct Bubba! As I typed 'Bubba' it appeared momentarily in a cream box above and to the right of the actual typed text as I am using IE7 for this message.

Many thanks for your efforts. I expect the answer will come to you in the small hours!

Green Giant

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

What's your phone number in case it's 3:00 AM :eek: j/k

Seriously tho....for a moment let's say it's not IE7 and SP3. What are some programs non-security related that you have installed ?

20. Green Giant

The only software I have updated in the past two weeks is TaxCalc ( for my self assessment tax return) and PrevxCSI, with updates to AVG Internet Security 8.0 several times a day but automatically.

Thanks again Bubba!

21. Green Giant

The appearance of typed words above the original plain text also occurs with my e-mail client, Courier 3.5. No assistance is now available from RoseCity Software for that as it is now freeware pending the issue of version 4.0.

22. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Just a thought: does AVG Internet security suite have some option for a "safe login" feature which saves passwords and then shows them up ??
    Regards.

23. Green Giant

Thanks for your posting Longboard. I will have a look at AVG Internet Security later today.

The repetition of what I have typed on screen also appears in web addresses in IE7, but not when sandboxed. This repetition does not occur in Firefox or Opera when not sandboxed, but still happens in Courier 3.5.

I will of course report if I find the solution.

24. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

25. Green Giant

Thanks for your postings Longboard and Stapp.

I can find nothing which seems relevant in the Help files of AVG Internet Security or anything which might help on tooltips.

Whilst I have been typing this reply in the Reply to Thread box, some of the words typed have appeared above what I have been typing, and then have disappeared.

This never happens when using IE7 sandboxed, or with Firefox and Opera at all, whether sandboxed or not.

This problem was noticed shortly after installing SP3 in WinXP. Let's hope that Patch Tuesday tomorrow may put this right!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.