DiskTrix System Booster

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by WSFuser, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

This utility is from teh makers of UltimateDefrag. Has anyone tried it?

heres the description from the website:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Sounds a bit like a combination of Windows indexing service and prefatch. I disable both. I always question how loading then running another program ever speeds up anything.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im trying it now though i dont know how long it takes for effect to take place.

its rather light (~11mb) and its independent of Windows' builtin prefetch.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I tried it and any effect was imaginary for me. But again I am not sure my system is a good test as it already flies.

Pete

5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Hhmmnn...I just be content with the optimizer function of the CleverCache and TuneUp Utilities and the registry cleaners and defragmenter I have now. I doubt if it really can make my ordinary pc into a ferrari..:D

But who knows, maybe someday I'll try this one also...:cool:

I'll just wait, if someone else here says that it really works to improve the performance of his/her pc. ;)

6. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

right here its only about 5mb. probably because of a small HD? 40G.

My trial is about to run out, I installed it on a pc with old 512 ram pc100, amd 1.0ghz. i wished it worked, considering how it was described as a "wow" in the website. I have yet to "feel" anything.

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

The problem with disabling prefetch is that you are slowing down your boot times by not having a "layout.ini" file within prefetch.

This is used for optimal layout of boot files used by MS's inbuilt boot time defragger and or Perfectdisk.

Quote PD article:

If PerfectDisk is set to manage the boot/layout files, then PerfectDisk will disable the "partial" defrag that Windows XP is doing approx every 3 days and PerfectDisk will make sure that the files needed for boot (default configuration) as well as the files indicated in the layout.ini file are "optimized" (if configured).

PerfectDisk will make sure that these files are contiguous and place these files at the top of the logical partition. All PerfectDisk is doing is using the information regarding boot and application launches that Windows XP has gathered. This information can either be gathered over time by Windows XP itself or gathered by running BootVis once.

http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/pd80/PerfectDisk80_faqs.cfm

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  8. toasale

toasale Registered Member

I use PerfectDisk to offline/online defrag at the end of every computing day and also utilize System Booster; I note a nice boost with SB in use.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

9. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

In Vista I turned off prefetch since I couldnt stand the grinding of harddrive for ten minutes every boot. I couldnt feel any difference in performance after I turned it off.

Last time I saw any real boost of speed with software, that wasnt imaginary, in any of my computers was back in the Win 3.1 days when I used memory optimizers. I have tried a few since then but they never did anything for me. I couldnt see any difference after I installed them nor when i uninstalled them. So I feel quite sceptic towards system optimizers.
    But maybe it has to do with what hardware you run? I mean if boost software actually work and you have a fast CPU, graphic card and plenty of RAM maybe the positive effect of boosters is so small you wont notice it?

10. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

While I use and like DiskTrix's UltimateDefrag, I can't say I see any performance boost from their System Booster. The only software 'performance booster' that I have found to provide a positive effect is CachemanXP (but it's no substitute for adding more physical memory)!

11. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I definitely notice a solid performance Boost as they say from Disk Trix's UD Defrag due to close file placement to Outer Tracks and such but i'm not sold on it's claims with that System Booster although i haven't tried it and won't.

I regularly clean up my disc after every internet session of pounding away at keys and opening windows & programs by using the simple app named RESTORATION to completely delete AND remove filename references to supposedly deleted files/folders etc. that Windows by design adds to it's long list everyday. This method adds for my units yet another boost in performance that otherwise i believe the drive heads and Windows itself would have to climb over to find completely free sectors for writing.

It's probably not the better of methods to use since i'm sure there must also be others, but it works for me well enough that it's become a normal routine of mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.