Diskgenius Pro free promo

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by acr1965, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

2. icr

icr Registered Member

They have a license promo that lasts till Dec 31,2010:eek:

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Thanks for posting acr1965. :)

How anyone can make a disk imaging program that sits at under 6.5 meg and seems to work from within Windows has got me beat.

Win 7 64 bit host and installed/registered Disk Genious via an XP VM to check it out.

Grabbed the install folder from the XP VM and put it on the real system D drive to see if it would work as a standalone which it did.

Made a hot image of C saved on E at which DG popped up a warning that no apps should be writing to disk and went ahead and made an image.

Made a simple change to desktop and booted into dos through DG's gui and restored from the image and was surprised that after it completed the image restore it booted straight back into Win 7 without having to do a startup repair with the Win 7 install disk.

After the successfull restore the drive needed an offline defrag and a couple of normal defrags to get it looking like the old drive but other than that I'm quite impressed with this app.

In future if I make an image with Disk Genious I will probably boot to dos as I prefer to cold image.

4. acr1965

I'm not sure what happens after Dec. 30th. Does the program stop updating or stop funtioning altogether?

5. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Drive Snapshot (282 KB)?

6. Franklin

Can create a hot image or can boot into dos from Windows, create or restore an image through an easy to understand GUI and reboots into Windows?

7. Pliskin

Yes.
    Not sure about this, I don't use dos.
    Yes.

8. Franklin

9. Pliskin

After the trial you can still use the restore function, that's something.

10. Franklin

OK gave DS a run in creating and a restore from the single exe and all I can say is brilliant.

After a restore/reboot the safemode menu came up where I selected Normal then Check disk ran and then rebooted into Windows.

The disk map looked much the same as before making the image.

Still prefer to cold image, not that there's much wrong with hot, so at this stage looks like I'll just keep both Disk Genius and Drive Snapshot. :thumb:

I think I tried Drive Snapshot a fair while ago and I can't remember it being that easy to use. Has it changed lately or always been that easy to use?

11. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

You can boot to dos with Drive Snapshot, but only the restore options are available from there. For cold imaging, you can run it from BartPE or another Windows-based recovery disk.

If I've understood correctly the new feature with Drive Snapshot 1.40.x versions is that you can initiate restore from Windows, but the author has issued many bug fix updates since that feature was added so it has not passed the test of time yet.

If you want to make backups from DOS, you can try Image for DOS by Terabyte Unlimited.

p.s. Give the "Always use VSS and abort if VSS fails" option a try from Drive Snapshot's Advanced options menu. For me it's faster than the default backup method on certain computers (specifically on dual core laptops).

12. Franklin

Thanks for the info pajenn. :)

13. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Funny, I check a number of reviews on it and they all quote the price @ $49.95. The link to the free offer states it's worth $69.95??

14. icr

icr Registered Member

I guess that it will be till 31st Dec 2010:doubt:

15. streetersgirl09

streetersgirl09 Registered Member

Hi, I this is my very first time blogging. I saw your question about the diskgenius pro free promo. When I say this, I do not want anyone to think that I am clueless, but it has years since I took computer classes or have any tech support training. I need help; about a month ago, my computer started acting slow, then programs would say not responding, windows explorer has stopped working messages popped up, and now my IE 8 when opened will show only the address bar and say connecting to give me an error message. I have AVG internet security and it said everything is fine and now my windows defender will not work. Can anyone please help me? I just do not know what to do. Oh! I ran this diagnostic test from dell when the computer starts up and it kept giving an error message about hard disc 1.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  16. acr1965

Can you check your windows logs and see if there are any error messages? Also, you need to post what operating system you have. Maybe also run a runscanner or hijackthis to see what all's running. Maybe you have some programs conflicting, need a driver update, have some unneeded services running (or needed ones not running) or possibly have some sort of malware on your system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.