diskeeper 2007 or perfect disk 8?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by lodore, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@twl845,
    acording to the white papers at raxco perfectdisk website it said it doesnt matter if you have tons of space left because it can still get fragmented.
    so yes a defragger is still needed.
    you would think that all the empty space free you wouldnt be any fragmentation but raxco says there is and they know what there talking about.
    lodore

2. Gilbertqc

Gilbertqc Registered Member

I find Raxco to be one of the few excellent sw companies with exemplary support. I recently was in a bind using PerfectDisk v8.045. To make it short, I had used SuperLogix XP Super Utilities v6.4.9 which installs hwfprot.sys with the result that all the files are locked and an analysis results in the cpu to be used at 100% and just stays there. I wrote to support in the middle of the night and had a response from a support tech by the time I got back to my email. Within the day and a few emails, the situation was solved. I am not a large customer for them. Very far from the treatment I got from Intwit!

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

There are free defraggers: Contig+Power Defragmenter GUI, PowerDefrag, Diskeeper Lite

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Lodore - Looking at their website, it looks like Perfect Disk is geared to huge hard drives. Mine is only 80 GB, 70 available to me and 10GB taken up by the system. Would PD or Diskkeeper be a little overkill for me?

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@Gilbertqc,
    thanks for that information that helps me make a decision.
    lodore

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@twl845,
    I think its needed for all drives.
    if you have the time read some of the white papers on raxco's site.
    mainly read White Papers: Disk defragmentation tutorial DefragTutorial.pdf
    from here http://www.raxco.co.uk/productfiles.asp?ProductID=80
    read page 7 about the myths.
    tell me what you think
    lodore

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

lodore - Thanks for the help. I'll check it out. I'm also reading Diskeepers Home/office info.

8. Gilbertqc

File fragmentation can hardly be avoided when using your computer system. Say you are downloading a large file and you switch to your email and download your latest received email. There is a good probability your message database will get fragmented. Say you decide to unarchive some of the older downloaded files. There you go again with your present download and the unarchiving job... Some programs may be better at preventing fragmentation by requesting the total space required before starting to write a file. I also find most software to needlesly install too much unneeded files on your hard drive. For instance those programs that install all languages when you only speak one or two. Why have croatian, simplified chinese, russian, swahili, italian, portuguese etc when the only language you speak is english? You are unlikely to use those interface languages and help files!

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK thanks. Your info helps. :)

10. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Just a few questions. Is PerfectDisk safe to use? And along that lines, what possible troubles could happen? I have a few things in my Documents I wouldn't want to lose, and my wife has over 4 GB's of Pictures in her Documents. Maybe I'm on the wrong lines here, and there is no danger of losing files, and I apologize if that's the case. This is a Two User Account PC, but will soon be just for my use, so my last question is. Should I wait to defrag it when it's just for my use only, and her stuff is gone? Thanks in advance for help here.

11. Gilbertqc

I've trusted PerfectDisk for the past 5 years or so and, so far, it has not let me down... As far as my hard drives are concerned, do I trust them? Yes and no is the answer. I've had four hard drives fail in the past 5 years and the last one occurred 3 weeks ago. One needs to backup because it is not a matter of if but of when. I backup to 2 or 3 different drives with Acronis True Image and also to DVD on a less frequent basis. Of course, I have many partitions which helps speed up the chore. One partition is my boot drive containing the OS and a few essentials (AV, Firewall etc). Another partition contains my programs and its data. Another partition contains my music. Another one my photos and movies. Another is used for a backup of personal related stuff: genealogy, history, maps, scanned personal matters (will, titles etc). That way, I don't need to backup the whole sheebang as would be the case if I only had a single partition and pretty much know if I've added photos or whatever. The process of a complete backup of a partition with verification can be done in 7 minutes or less. I also automated a backup of my email which is what changes most on a daily basis.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if i want to test perfectdisk 8 what would be the best way.
    uninstall diskeeper 10 pro?
    or just turn off set and forgot it?
    lodore

13. duke1959

Thanks Gilbertqc, I appreciate your reply. In a few days I will be eliminating my wifes account, and will only have mine. I imagine it makes sense to wait until after I do that to run PD, right?

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I downloaded Diskeeper 2007 yesterday on my 80 GB pc that according to my Microsoft defrag was not fragmented. DK rearranged my HD and defraged 8900 files. I see a noticeable speed up of files being accessed. I'll use it for a while and buy it it a few weeks. :)

15. GoBears

GoBears Registered Member

Just found out from one of my friends that beta tested PerfectDisk 8 Vista that Raxco has extended the DEFRAGVISTANOW 50% off code until Tuesday. At $20 bucks it's a steal.

16. Gilbertqc

Until a few months ago, I had Diskeeper, O&O defrag and PerfectDisk installed at the same time but without the frag monitoring program running because I did not find it was doing much of a difference when I tested it.

I also always empty the trash can before doing a full defragmentation pass. No sense defragging files which will be deleted...

17. Gilbertqc

Not sure I understand what you mean in eliminating your wife's account. If her files will remain on the hd, you can go ahead with the defrag now if you wish to. Otherwise, if they will be deleted, you can wait. Don't forget to empty the trash can before doing the defragmentation. You may find you need a couple of defrag passes before the partition is in a pristine state. I guess when a partition contains hundreds of fragmented files that need an agressive consolidation, no program can do it perfectly the very first time it tries to accomplish the task. When my partition is nicely defragged, I usually take this opportunity to do an AV scan and spyware scan. They take less time to do their scan at that time. I do it about twice a month. About twice a year, it finds something it had not detected before. I also take that opportunity to do my full backup which also is less time consuming...

18. duke1959

My PC right now is set up for two different user accounts, mine and my wife's. She is getting a new PC so I will be eliminating her account and go back to having just one user account, mine. There will be some programs that she had installed, that will be uninstalled, so thanks for answer. I will wait until all her stuff is gone and then use PD to defrag. Take care, and again thanks for all your help Gilbertqc.

19. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Geez, I just couldn't pass this up. Yesterday I bought Ultimate DeFrag.

I own multiple registry cleaners and use them all, but what am I gonna do w/ 2 DeFraggers?? o_O

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

two pc's?
    if you got two pc's then one of each.
    lodore

21. Gilbertqc

Having 2 accounts does not make much of a difference as far as your hard drive goes about placing data. Data access may be a different matter, in the sense of priviledges. Since I am nearly the only one accessing my home computer, I have not set up different accounts and left it at administrator at all times. I know some will disagree about doing it in such a way. My reasoning is that when I need to reply the same answer 98% of the time, there is a very large probability I will answer the same way when I should answer differently and realise I goofed after the fact. Such is human nature. I remember having answered Yes when asked if I really wanted to format C when I should have answered No and slapped myself about doing something so stupid... I was tired and wanted the tasks to be done yesterday and hurried thru the steps involved. Two seconds later, I realised it was not the F partition but the C that was being formatted! I started in computers in 1968 and could hardly believe I had done something like that. After all I know what i'm doing and should know better! :blink: Give yourself enough opportunities to do something stupid and, eventually, you are bound to do it... o_O

22. screamer

screamer Registered Member

hehehe@lodore

I know, I was J/K'ing

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i know =D
    lodore

24. duke1959

Anyone do a boot time defrag with PerfectDisk? The reason I ask. I have used AOL AVS in the past and read where it fragments the MFT Files I think they're called, and PD defrags them with a boot time defrag. This is said to speed up Phase Two of the CHKDSK operation, which began to take longer to start after I used AVS.

25. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

ive used PrefectDisk before and its boot defrag worked well, but i didnt have Kaspersky at that time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.