DiskCryptor guides? Not sure if I can do this...

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TheCatMan, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

PaulyDefran: Yeah have noticed this also... I feel if your confident and stuck to your guns with your excuse no real evidence to say none the wiser.

Still if your in England, this country throws you in jail if you do not hand over the password.

Which is why I feel a variation of the encryption methods suggested may work better or keeping it simple as you put it, you show someone the pc it switches on and boots to windows....

S.B.

Thanks for the detailed write up wonder if that counts the same for SSDs, had to ask ;)

Also I was asking about if random noise/data software existed, any names jump out ?

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Yeah, you really are hosed with either method if you carry around the physical drive. Using the approved TC method, you flag that you are using encryption right off the bat. The checkpoint gorilla is either happy with the password you entered, or he isn't. If he isn't, you get passed to someone more technically inclined (but based on the detention of Mitnick in Atlanta, don't count on it - they were rubes too). They look at the disk and see two partitions. If you're dumb enough to start blabbing (or HAVE TO if in UK, etc...) it may get to the opening of the Outer Volume containing the Hidden OS. So you open that, and they STILL AREN'T SATISFIED. They say "We know all this stuff, boot the hidden OS" Then what? They can't prove it, but does that matter? In the UK, they may send you to jail anyway.

At least with unencrypted decoy, you have a chance to just give the gorilla a banana.

The ideal situation for international travel is to just go sterile and then download an encrypted image using high-speed broadband, and apply it to the machine. I haven't tried this in the real world, but it should be possible to do a sector by sector back up of the hidden OS partition, and apply it. You'd obviously want to go small on the partition sizes, since you have to download - No Blu-rays :D

PD

3. S.B.

S.B. Registered Member

Heidi Eraser is one well known freeware shredder (eraser) program that gives the user the option of using random (pseudorandom actually) data for overwrites. SSDs don't store data magnetically, but instead use actual digital hardware for storage. AFAIK it has never been suggested that there is any possibility of "residual" data remaining after a overwrite. AFAIK there's no reason not to use random data for a wipe on SSD; thus, a single random or non-random pass should irretrievably wipe the SSD to protect your privacy.

Regards.

4. TheCatMan

Yup am still amazed how many threads on tc forums are similar to this thread... just about everyone is moving the bootloader/password off the hdd... guess this is why dc does this option as well accept better since it gives option to put on usb stick.

I checked bestcrypt and diskcryptor docs and they do no support or run hidden os methods, so tc is still top dog just a shame tc and dc are both so out of date and in real need of an update!

Dc otherwise is great and stable and fine, and bootloader off usb works fine.

Think ill give tc hidden os a shot and see if I can suss it out to get the right set up !

5. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

This thread got me thinking about whether legal enformcement agencies can match the type of "random data" in an unmounted DC or TC partition to the program itself. For example, suppose I used a program like Eraser to erase a volume with the pseudo-random data overwrite method. Could LEA experts tell I used Eraser as opposed to another erasing program or an encryption program?

6. TheCatMan

Thanks yeah was just researching for this and found Eraser free software and also Dban supports the pseudorandom method.

I was considering using it as sometimes suggested a means of Plausible D still. I know many disagree with it but still feel its a simple explanation provided you got the right set up.

7. TheCatMan

Was researching the same thing...I just glanced over this article

http://opensource.dyc.edu/random-vs-encrypted

And unless am understanding it wrong, simply put there is no way to tell the difference between random data and encrypted data.

I also got the same answer from another guy :)

Another barrier of Plausible D Sorted kinda....

8. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

i agree with your sentiment, but in reality i think you often have to play it by the ear. for example, i've been asked to boot up my laptop at customs - i assume it was just a random routine check to make sure it was a working laptop as opposed to something that might contain drugs or explosives, but suppose the custom official had started looking at my partition structure and asking questions... i'd probably try to just play it dumb and give simple answers like 'yeah, there's an empty partition because i'm about to install windows 8 on it' or something. if you start demanding a laywer or asking about detainment at that point (in a foreign country) you might be in for a lot of inconvenience...

9. TheCatMan

Totally agree with pajenn, it mirrors what another wilder on here once said, act dumb... but id say not too dumb.

An adversary is most likely waiting for your reaction, is it defensive or evasive?

These guys are much better trained at seeing this then the average joe is, it is their daily job and what allows them to catch people out.

An empty drive icon is questionable, but yeah something very simple as in
    I left it there to upgrade windows 8 or windows 7 (depending on the os installed). If they say why go from windows 8 to 7, you can reply cos windows8 is rubbish and no start button or vice versa with windows 8 is the newer and faster os.

Feed these adversaries only what they need not more and you survive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.