Disk Wiping – One Pass is Enough

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by CloneRanger, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

http://www.anti-forensics.com/disk-...-with-screenshots/comment-page-1#comment-4711

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

That's a good site. Sadly, it seems to be abandoned, update wise. Last post was in December.

PD

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I had problems with the one-pass wipe in Eraser. I was finding file names all the time. I used the 6.0 and earlier versions with the same result. I had used Eraser for many years - back when Sami wrote and maintained the original Eraser. However...

I finally plucked down the money for BCWipe and there's no file names left on a one-pass wipe. All in all, I've found it to be a far superior tool.

-

4. redcell

redcell Registered Member

I don't recommend one pass if it's involving top secret data. In fact, the best way to wipe data is to smash the hard into pieces.

But I can confirm that the one pass wipe "going to at least 50% progress" (either zero or random) is good to kill the stubborn bootloader remnant structure of an FDE.

5. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

with fde as in TC? you dont need to erase anything , regular delete command in windows is enough to turn any data into random gibberish that can not be deciphered , no matter how "top secret" your data is considered ;)

p.s: and no smashing isnt the way to go about it unless you deliberately enjoy destroying perfectly clean and functional hardware , might as well nuke it from orbit just to be safe ;) , lols

and yes bcwipe is the only way to go to be sure youve completely obliterated any traces of private data from non fde hdds

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

For top secret info it's wipe + destroy the hardware. It's never been shown that information can be extracted but if you're dealing with nukes it's best to be sure.

Personally I'd just do two wipes in case the software screws up but I think 1 is enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.