Disk Partitioning Questions

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by TheKid7, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

How do you decide between the partitioning types when you paritition a hard drive?

I just transfered my System Partition to a new hard drive. For the remaining disk space, I used BING to make two additional NTFS partitions and then used Windows to do a Full Format of the two new partitions. Windows now is showing:

C: Primary
    D: Primary
    E: Primary

I noticed that my old hard drive showed:

C: Primary
    D: Extended Logical
    E: Extended Logical

I looked on my other two PC's and they are showing C: as Primary and the other partitions on the same hard drive are showing Extended Logical.

Is there any reason to change the D: and E: partitions from Primary to Extended Logical? If yes, can the conversion be done without data loss or reformatting?

Thanks in Advance.

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

A Hard Drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions. A primary partition is required in order to boot an operating system. If you had a dual boot system, you would need two primary partitions. If you plan on adding another partition to the ones you now have, you would probably make it an extended partition with logical drives. An extended partition can have as many logical drives as letters in the alphabet. But, to answer your question, you are fine with the partitions you have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.