Disk is full.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bogene2020, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bogene2020

Bogene2020 Registered Member

I get the error below and my backup fails ... I have an external harddrive that is 232Gigs and the drive I am backing has 63 Gigs of data .. What Am I doing wrong ? Thanks

Disk is full.
    You must free additional disk space to continue. You can either empty the Recycle Bin or delete old data files.
    Please press Retry to try again or press Cancel to cancel the operation and stop.: Retry/Cancel

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Well, since your Recycle Bin is probably NOT on your external drive, this sounds like you could be trying to store the backup on the source drive.
    Go back and recheck all the selections you’ve made.

3. TheWeaz

Well I just ran a test to see if TI would really issue a warning message referring to the Recycle Bin - and it does.
    So … what’s the total size of your source disk and what’s the free space on your target disk?

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If it's not a full wastebasket take heart -- this message can erroneously occur in Windows when it becomes confused about a drive. Best thing is to disconnect the external drive and reconnect. That usually works. If not then a reboot usually clears things up -- just like using the older version of Windows or an IPOD ;-)

You can also take a look at the Recylced folder. If you use the drive on diff machines, you can get a bunch of "wastbasket" system sub folders under Recycled.

5. Bogene2020

Re: E00040004: Disk is Full Error

Thanks .. I have rebooted the computer previously and I have disconnected and reconected the external drive at least once .

Os is Win XP
    The source drive is 240 gigs ang 75 gigs used
    The external drive that I am backing up to is 232 gigs

6. TheWeaz

Are you sure you haven't selected a sector by sector backup?

7. Bogene2020

I have attached a copy of what the backups look like .. Is that the way it should look ?

Attached Files:

8. TheWeaz

What are the sizes of some of those files? What kind of backup are you trying to run? INCs and DIFFs will eventually fill any disk.

9. Bogene2020

I did a full backup first and then incremental backups but the first fullbackup showed up in pieces like the image showed . I expected it to be one lump ..

10. Bogene2020

Those files average about 4gigs each

11. TheWeaz

My guess is that your drive is formatted FAT32 which will only allow a max file size of ~4 GB.

12. Bogene2020

You are right it is Fat32 and when you look at the image you will see that it says there is free space but yet the pie chart is all blue ..

So how should I go about fixing the issue and thanks very much . I have had this problem for months and I have tickets open with Acronis but no reply from them since .. Thanks Again ..

Attached Files:

13. TheWeaz

You have free space, but only 146 MB.
    Depending on what your backup needs are, you have different solutions. Run another FULL and start over; copy the backup files to another disk if you want to save them and start over, but … your disk is full and something needs to go.
    If you don’t want all the small pieces, you could delete the files, convert to NTFS and, again, start over.

14. Bogene2020

I def want to convert to NTFS because the data I am backing up is only 70g but maybe because the drive is in Fat32 I keep getting the message that the drive is full ...

Do you know any utility I can use to reformat the drive ?

15. TheWeaz

Just Google 'convert fat ntfs' and you'll find instructions. They can also be found on the Microsoft web site - but converting will not get you any more space on the drive. If your disk only has 70 GB in use and you're getting that many 4 GB segments created please go back and make sure you're not selecting a 'sector-by-sector' backup. gotta run ...

16. Bogene2020

Thank You Very Very Much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.