Disk Cloning Problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rasp, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rasp

rasp Registered Member

Hi,
    Trying to Clone my old HD to a new one but I always get an error at the first reboot.
    This is what I did.
    Installed new HD(200GB), Both HD's set to 'cable select' and system recognises old HD(120GB) as primary and new one as slave
    PE2003 reports new HD as Primary Slave with 186.3GB unallocated space
    Proceed to Cloning (closed all open programs and opened TI Ver9 Build 2,273)
    I selected the Automatic option. When I reboot to start the process the machine shows a screen where the partitions are analysed then locked then checked at the end of the checking routine I get the message
    'ERROR. partitions have changed, press any key to reboot your computer"
    After pressing a key the computer reboots back to windows. The New HD has nothing on it.
    My OS is Win XP Pro SP2 (fully patched)
    I have read through the 'Disk Cloning?' post but my problem is a little different.

Gavin Molloy

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

After the cloning process is complete, you have to disconnect or remove the original before trying to boot the cloned drive for the first time. Did you do that? If not, re-do the cloning and this time remove the original.

3. rasp

rasp Registered Member

HI Chutsman,
    No I didn't remove the old drive, but the cloning process doesn't seem to do anything.
    Right at the start I am asked to reboot this is when I get the error message.
    I will run the process again and remove the old hd then post back.

4. Chutsman

One more tidbit ... use the bootable TI cd for all your backup/cloning functions.

5. rasp

rasp Registered Member

I ran the cloning process again using manual and keeping my old HD 'as is'
    TI tells me there are 8 operations (I have 7 partitions on the HD) for Operation 1 a Reboot is required. It is at this reboot that I get the error message.
    Eg: I start the operation and the computer reboots
    First there is an Analysing Partitions process bar (goes to 100%)
    Then a Locking Partitions process Bar (goes to 100%)
    Then a Checking Partitions process Bar - When this reaches 100% I get the error mrssage.
    'ERROR. Partition Configuration has changed press any key to reboot your computer'

At this point I have:
    1) pressed a key and rebooted the computer, logged on, The second HD does not appear in 'My Computer' but is listed in Device Manager. Partition Expert shows Disk 2 with 186.3GB unallocated space.
    2) pressed a key and rebooted to the logon screen then shutdown and remove the old HD set the new HD as master and reboot the computer. Computer fails to boot. I then put back the old Hd and reboot as normal.

The cloning process seems to fail before it completes the first step.
    I am downloading the latest build and will have another go when I have upgraded. (It may take sometime as I only have dial-up)

6. rafael

rafael Registered Member

I am interested to know the steps you will take as I have the same problem with my friend's computer using the trial TI 9.0 Home build 3567.

7. rasp

rasp Registered Member

Chutsman,
    That tidbit (titbit?) was the answer.
    Booting from the bootable rescue media (CD in this case) and the whole thing ran like a charm! My disk was cloned in about 6 minutes and the clone works perfectly.
    I didn't even update to build 3567.
    I wonder why that isn't suggested in the help file?

Thanks for your help.
    Gavin Molloy.

8. Chutsman

Thanks for reporting what worked and I'm glad to hear the suggestion worked for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.