Disgusted w/NOD32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by meburke, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meburke

meburke Registered Member

I'm about to give up on all the AV makers. Norton and McAffee give a false sense of security, Kaspersky interrupts internet connections and now NOD32 won't update and nowhere can I find a clue why not... the FAQ is lame and and seems to be authored by the marketing department.

Is it too much to ask for a manufacturer to provide complete, easy-to-use instructions in an easy-to-find location? I'm a computer tech, been one for 40 years now, and if it isn't easy for my customers to use and keep up-to-date, I don't want it on their systems.

Basically, neither the beta version nor the trial version will update for my Toshiba Satellite running XP and connecting via ADSL through SBC. All previous AV products I've tested have been removed, including the brain-damaged EZTrust stuff from CA (after much registry editing, I finally got it gone!)

I would like just one dependable AV product that I can recommend to my customers without embarrasment.

If anyone else has had this problem lately, and if they've found a fix or workaround that is dependable, then PLEASE let me know.

(BTW, I suppose the posts I've seen saying that buying the commercial version of NOD32 eliminates the problem could count, but I hate to do that based on my belief that trial versions are supposed to be designed to provide users with a happy experience using the product, and if I'm not happy with the trial versions I don't really trust the commercial version either.)

Thanks,

Mike

2. roady

roady Registered Member

Did you try Avast Home Edition?
    Not so advanced as their Pro version,but easy to manage,even for not-so-experienced customers...

3. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

If you are looking for a simple, powerful and automated AV scanner, I'd go for Dr. Web........great and fast program.

Good luck,

Putin ;)

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There are actually not any problems with Eset's update servers. For NOD32 to update successfully, the firewall and proxy servers must be configured properly as for any other product.

Because you have started discussing other AV, the threat has been moved.

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

G’day Mike, welcome to Wilders.

Let’s see if we can sort your Nod32 connection problem out. Have you checked to see if you have Nod32 set up correctly, as in your connection setting set to LAN/fixed line. This can be found in the Nod32 Control Centre> Update> update> Advanced.

I understand this is about to go through a change shortly.

I have personally set up several 100 PC’s with Nod32, I have also made a step by step tutorial on tweaking Nod32 that can be found here. My clients don’t have an issue with Nod32 or I’d be hearing about it ;) :D

I might suggest doing a Winsock Repair, as per the instructions found in General Cleaning, simply because you have had several Anti-virus programs on that machine.

That is what I have found with Nod32.

If what I have suggested does not work, please send me a PM and I’ll go further with you…

And fair enough, like I said above, let’s see how you go…

Cheers :D

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Rather generalised statements made here. Lots of members here have no such problems using these products on their systems.
    Again this is not what I am seeing or the many users over at the NOD forum with the new beta version. The many problems you have with a number of AV products suggest that you are having difficulty in configuring/tweaking the programs properly, and/or your firewall, despite your 40 years of experience.
    If you can configure these AV's then any of the ones at www.av-comparatives.org should suit you.

Take up Blackspear's offer. He should be able to sort you out ;)

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Mike,

The trial and/or beta versions should work as the commercial version. If you're having problems, there's really nothing magical in the commercial version that will fix things, so you're quite right on that count.

Just to give us an idea of things, do you have any other security/filtering software installed on the laptop? Firewall? Anything?

Keep us posted on developments. Sometimes multiple eyes on the problem can help (and I also realize it can sometimes hinder....).

Cheers,

Blue

8. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

~ snip ~ removed for Admin review ~ Blackspear

- As this was basically an advertisement, it won't be coming back - LowWaterMark

that'll teach me for offering a money-back guarantee eh? Oh-well, you try to be nice...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

There was a known issue with the trial version not updating properly. I don't know if that was fixed. But I don't think the OP here deserves the kind of answers he has received whether that was fixed or not.

~ snip ~ removed for Admin review ~ Blackspear

- Unnecessary bashing comments that also do not answer the OP questions, as such will be left removed - LowWaterMark

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2005
  10. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I am personally running NOD32 2.50.2 beta on Win XP Pro SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop wirelessly connected to a router with SBC as my ADSL provider, and I can attest to having no issues with receiving updates... it can work. So let's just take a step back, breathe for a few seconds, and honestly try to troubleshoot the problem rather than continually rushing around installing / uninstalling numerous products without much reflection or analysis. Perhaps you've already given up on NOD32, although -- IMHO -- you may have made a rash and ill-founded decision. In any event, according to several of your other posts you are still having selective connectivity problems with multiple products. Why don't we try to investigate those now since you must realize that the problem virtually has to be a configuration error or malware involvement on your PC.

Why don't you start by identifying all relevant pieces of information: exact symptoms, operating system, browser version, host firewall, products affected. Can you ping the update servers in question? Has your network stack been corrupted? Has your host file be compromised? Do you still have remaining malware? Do you still have remaining pieces and/or configuration changes resulting from prior AV/AT/firewall/security products? What 3rd party executables are in your Windows services list and/or autostart registry locations?

11. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

I recommend you try Dr.Web. I was disgusted with all AV's until I did!

12. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Both our local computer shops around here, who repair, build, and sell, put AVG free on their computers and recommend it highly. They even use AVG for cleaning infected machines brought in to them. It surprised me when I found out, considering the bad press AVG gets on some sites, but they both swear by it.

Both my computer and my wife's came from one of these shops and had AVG. We never had a problem with it and my wife still has AVG7. I read too many bad reports here and have switched to AVAST and then to another when I had trouble with AVAST on this machine. I'm now running ETrust 7 Promo.

Going on what the two computer shops in the next town over say, I'd look at AVG free.

13. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Remember, you get what you pay for.

Blackspear's guide is what I used to set up NOD32. Don't hear a peep from it unless I detects something it can't clean. I'm sitting on 8 licensed AV's and settled on NOD32 with BOClean as a backup.

Mike, are you running a proxy? What is your network setup? Going through a software firewall or router?

Have you sent an email to Tech Support?

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I have seen the same posts as well... Being a paid user I haven't experienced the update problem. Is there a bug in the trial versions or does ESET do some kind of proiority updating (ie paid users get updates first)?

15. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Over the last year or so, I have tested/demoed at least 12 different AV's on several types of Windows machines. Some AV's I ran for a couple of hours, some I'm still running. NOD32 is one I'm still running. IMO, if it's not working correctly, there is help here at Wilders and at Eset that can work out the bugs. Especially updating issues.

I admit that as a group of programs, AVs often don't uninstall very cleanly. That said, I've been running EZ Antivirus v7 all along (I also beta tested CA's EZ AV v7 from fairly early on) and never had any serious uninstall issues. At least nothing like some other more famous AVs that will go unmentioned. Removing one remaining folder was the only thing I consistantly needed to do. I always followed up removal by running some type of registry cleaner but that was just my thing, not something that was absolutely necessary.

Anyway, just my thoughts...

16. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Mike, I agree with your sentiments completely. That being said, I did not have any problems updating NOD32 during my trial period. I am also running WinXP SP2, connected through a home router to SBC ADSL.

Do you get any sort of messages in your NOD32 error log relating to failed updates? It could be that with so many AV programs installed and uninstalled, something has happened to your computer's networking.

17. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

The other thing to consider is that you need to reimage or reinstall if you've installed/uninstalled a variety of AV apps. Every one leaves crap behind that you need to clean up. If you don't, in most cases, you run into issues.

18. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Tazdevl is correct, the problems with uninstalling your previous Av's
    have corrupted your system's registry or some system files.

Reinstall the pc (for once) and install nod32, and i am sure the problem(s) are fixed!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

And 40 years experience is very much :>) , i have been here for a while now,
    perhaps there is some problem on your computer with JCL (Job Control Language) that have run there a long time before.

Have you checked the VTOC's ?

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.