discussion: AnitivirusKit

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mgaidia, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgaidia

mgaidia Registered Member

hello
    take a look at this new product, AVK
    the special thing about it is that it use two virus search engines (dual scans using the KAV and BitDefender engines)
    http://www.gdata.de/trade/productview/567/28/

What do u think?
    i think it might become the most powerful AV on earth :)

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Re: discussion: AntivirusKit

It is not that new, but AVK is OK as shown here:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2006_05.php
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2006_02.php

Gerard

3. mgaidia

The result show that its #1

4. FRug

FRug Registered Member

And then take a look at their scan speed (latest proactive test report page 14), and think again whether you want to have a slow motion system...
    IMHO too much of a tradeoff when compared to the capabilities of other single engine AVs.

5. mgaidia

any comments?

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AVK is a good product with top-notch protection and nice heuristics via BitDefender's B-HAVE technology. Kaspersky engine provides excellent signature based detection, and the BitDefender engine is also very good at signature-based detection. However, the product is also quite slow and (IMO) resource heavy due to the two scan engines.

The product is a bit costly and GDATA does not give free upgrades, though you can get a cheaper-priced AVK at http://www.antivirus.net.my

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Has anyone here used it or is using it now?

Actually the price of $29.95 for the AV and $44.95 for the Internet pack is not as expensive as some others. I consider it on the inexpensive side.

It has shown in AVC tests to be the top AV. However, in discussions no one seems to have used it.
    Regarding scan speed, it is not as slow as F-Secure evidently. I am trying F-Secure, and while the scan speed is slow, it does not bother me.

I wonder what the resource usage of AVK is?

PS. If no one has used it, then BigC, our universal tester, should try it and report. Don Pelotas could also test it for us. I am not smart enough so I am excused from such things.

PS2. Regarding updates here is what the site says. "Includes 1 year virus pattern and software updates."
    http://www.antivirus.net.my/product_avk06.htm

Regards,
    Jerry

8. Firecat

Those are the prices from the reseller - http://www.antivirus.net.my

The prices on GDATA's site is much higher. Also, the reseller releases the GDATA products later than GDATA itself, so it could be a bit of a problem.

I contacted the reseller on the updates and upgrades policy, and I was told upgrades are not free (you must pay about 80% of the initial purchase price, while renewal prices are cheaper at 60% of the purchase price).

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

WOW, Firecat, That would be unsatisfactory. No wonder no one uses it. I don't want either the Don or BigC to spend that kind of money. Or you either.

Regards,
    Jerry

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I doubt Don would bother with it. He's said more than once that there isn't much point going with a clone when you can have the real thing(Kaspersky).

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Yea, Don is a pretty bright guy. But I can be free with his resources.:D :D
    I agree with having the real thing.

Jerry

12. Firecat

The quality of a clone can differ greatly. Some clones do receive engine and program updates (PC Tools AV, for example), while others only get signature updates.

In case of GDATA, the KAV component engine is only updated every time a new 2006/2007/---> version is released. The BD engine is upgraded regularly however.

The only reason I would get a clone is price, since some clones are much cheaper than KAV itself.

13. Mascot

Mascot Registered Member

In my experience, it's horrific. By that I don't mean it necessarily uses a lot of memory or cpu under normal conditions. But it makes some actions many times slower. This was, to me, very noticable. It affected the speed of the start menu, as well as opening folders. Not consistently, but too often for me to live with.

I've kept testing it yearly when a new release appears, including this year. The test is pretty simple. I open add/remove programs and see how long it takes to populate, since this was a consistent delay with the original version I used. If I remember correctly, the times on my current system were about 4 seconds with AVK disabled, compared to almost 40 seconds with it enabled.

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Not any scanner blocks them all, but AntiVirusKit does. That's NEW indeed. :rolleyes:

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I wanted to give this product a try but with the trial you don't get any updates, so I said no. I did let it try a partial scan. Terrible. KAV is more than adequate for my needs.

16. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

As shown in my signature the apps. I am running realtime (all licensed) and without any issues working together or socalled resource hogs (I am still don't know what that is).

Also I have here on my desk just in front of me a boxed AVK 2006 InternetSecurity(licensed ofcourse), install it or not? :):doubt::D

Gerard

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I wouldn't bother, but if you've paid for it give it a try.

18. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I've tried it after KIS 6.0 and i'm not going to try it again, it just slows you too much, i'm assuming it's the Outbreakshield causing.

19. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

AVK 2006 just killed my machine:Intel Celeron Northwood 2.00GHz with 1GB RAM
    May be it's so good but not for me:(

20. nicM

nicM nico-nico

I've AVK 2006 running on one of my computers for almost a year now, and if I was enthusiastic at the beginning, I must say I've somewhat revised my opinion about it :doubt: .

The http scanner is very annoying, and became unusable after the last program update (constant and irreversible 100 % cpu), I finally disabled it, but as its process is used for mail scanning (proxy), I had to disable mail scanner too - though we don't use mail clients anyway.

nicM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.