Discomfort

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Suetonius, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suetonius

Suetonius Registered Member

I am a newcomer to Ewido's anti-spyware and thought it the best thing since sliced bread -- that is, until I "tested it out", when it fell at the first hurdle.
    I simply installed Realplayer's freebie version (UNFORTUNATELY, a necessity if you want to listen to a lot of BBC's stuff).
    I was extremely disappointed to discover that it completely ignored the presence of realsched.exe.
    Is this an oversight, or does Ewido subscribe to what Realplayer gets up to?
    Saying that the user agrees to it via the EULA is not valid - how many people do you know who actually read those darn things - much less understand them? Besides which, defending it on that basis is a bit like defending these conditions that used to be printed on the back of dry cleaning tickets - laughable.
    Either way, I now begin to wonder what else it might ignore . . . . and why?
    Please set my mind at rest.

JDH

PS Oh, and please don't use the excuse that if you remove the run command from the registry, Realplayer checks and re-inserts it. You know as well as I there are simple ways round it.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

its probably just not considered bad. simple as that.

alternatively, u can try using realalternative or switching to an antispyware that would detect it.

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

As someone who has installed Realplayer specifically to listen to "a lot of BBC's stuff" I don't really understand this post. I can assure you that Realsched.exe is certainly not running on my system (you turn it off within Realplayer by unchecking the option to look for updates). So why should AVG-AS be finding it?

4. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I used to hate Realplayer and its spyware-like qualities but I realized I was using it about 1 day out of 50 (basically, barely needed, very rare). So I just got Real Alternative and now a few times a year that I do need Real format, it's there without the bloat.

I don't know that any AS would detect Real Player really.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

counterspy detects the spyware in realplayer.

6. TopperID

Not on my system it doesn't! But then I'm using version 1.5.

Are you referring to the new Beta version 2? If so what exactly does it find?

I agree that RealPlayer sometimes comes bundled up with adware such as MiniBug/WeatherBug, which is found by both CounterSpy and AVG-AS (though VERY few other scanners find this - aside from A2), but this is very low grade stuff and the Player itself is not found.

I know that RealPlayer can be a big nuisance, but I have never heard of a scanner finding any of its actual components as spyware.

7. GS2

GS2 Registered Member

The BBC have changed their options anyway, you can watch their content with Windows Media Player also. If your settings have been setup for realplayer - delete your bbc cookies and you will be asked what option you want next time.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it was found when i ran the trial of counterspy 1.5 ages ago.

9. TopperID

Yes, but you don't say what was found!

I have to assume it was WeatherBug which was also found by ewido - however this is harmless adware and is not spyware, nor is it part of RealPlayer itself (RealSched etc). It comes bundled with RealPlayer but you have the choice not to install it and if you do you can easily uninstall it again.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye it was weatherbug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.