Disabling the router firewall... possible?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Brian2005, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian2005

Brian2005 Registered Member

Hi everyone.. I am just curious if it would be a safe thing to do to disable the router firewall if I want to load a software firewall (same one on each PC) on all 6 of my PCs on my LAN or is this not even possible to do?

I am just wondering because if not, it seems like my computers have to reconnect sometimes to the Internet.

I do have WEP enabled on my home network... should I disable it since I am on a LAN/using a software firewall on each computer in the LAN?

Thank you,

Robert

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have three computers on my LAN and they all have soft firewalls but there is no way that I will disable my lan firewall. It provides to much protection to disable.

3. Brian2005

Hi Bigc, oh ok... I won't think about disabling it then. Wow.. I never knew the router firewall provided THAT much protection since everyone is always wanting a software firewall.. just assumed that it might be best to disable the router firewall. Thanks for your reply :)

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

With a router people use a software firewall for out bound application control. You never know what might have gotten on your system that wants to phone home.

5. Brian2005

Oh ok I see... well I am using ZoneAlarm Pro 6 (the latest version of it) and its working quite well :)

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Not everyone, I find software firewalls too performance impeeding and naggy for my use. Only time I'll use one at home is when I'm playing with ISA Server.

You can't disable the basic hardware firewall that home broadband routers provide through how they function on home broadband connections (gateway mode)...and that's through NAT..Network Address Translation.

You can disable more advanced features that some routers have, such as SPI. And you can bypass NAT with a single computer by unwisely placing it in the DMZ. Or you can punch some holes in the NAT by port forwarding/opening ports to a LAN IP. But the overall protection of NAT, by default, is there..and in its entirety can not be disabled.

WEP or WPA has nothing to do with firewalls, it's only there to keep people off of your wireless network, nothing to do with securing your computer from the internet.

7. Brian2005

Oh ok I see... well, I'll see how it goes for me.. if I run into problems, I'll stick with my router to protect me.

8. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Whatever you do, DON'T DISABLE YOUR WEP!! unless for very short term troubleshooting. At home on my wireless laptop I can connect to four of my neighbours home unsecured wireless LANS. Fortunately for them they are running software firewalls or XP builtin firewall so I can't attach to any shares on their PCs. But all four are (obviously) broadcasting their SSIDs and two of the four haven't changed their default router password and I was able to log in to their routers! By doing this I have actually discovered which of my neighbours they are as their ISP log in names (family names) are visible in the router. The other two I don't know who they are.

One of the neighbours I identified I have told them and offered to help secure it if they have trouble. The other neighbours are not very friendly so I haven't bothered to tell them and, as they are using a different ISP to me, it's quite handy for me to have analternative network to connect to if my broadband was to go down !! :D :D

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Not very ethical :) Could you not just drop them a note saying that there wireless network is not secure and explain to them how to secure it, you could do that anonymously.

Pilli

10. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

:oops: making me feel guilty now Pilli. I guess in two years my ISP has only gone down once. Perhaps I will.

11. Brian2005

Hey q1aqza, yes I figured as much because then anyone can really access the network and do whatever they want I suppose. But thank you for telling me, I appreciate it. :D

12. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Amen to that! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.