Disabling SPS on Spy Sweeper 6?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jhr76, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhr76

jhr76 Registered Member

Hi. Is there a way to disable the self protection (SPS) on Spy Sweeper 6? I found a way to disable it on version 5.x which was done by accessing Spy Sweeper´s hidden settings but that way doesn´t work on version 6 :(
    Basically I want to be able to set the Spy Sweeper engine to manual since I use it as an on demand scanner only and the memory and processor usage bothers me, even more so now that version 6 apparently added a new process/service, Webroot Client Service (WRConsumerService.exe) but you can at least set that to manual. Thanks a lot in advance.

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Out of curiosity why would you use SS on demand when SAS and MBAM are superior solutions?

3. jhr76

jhr76 Registered Member

I am not familiar with those 2 programs and I like Spy Sweeper

Edit: If by SAS you mean Super AntiSpyware I tried it and hated it

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Well, I really don't know.

Obviously Webroot is not going to give you that information.

But if you just want to use the Spy Sweeper as an on-demand scanner (it's not good at that in my own experience), then presumably you can use a customized install and configure the Spy Sweeper (program) to NOT load automatically at startup. Disabling Spy Sweeper's services is not recommended. But I have only experience with the Spy Sweeper till version 5.5.7, it's possible that your version is different in that regard.

I can't give you advice about how to uninstall the program !

5. jhr76

jhr76 Registered Member

Hi . I already have it set not to start with Windows, but regardless of that setting the Spy Sweeper Engine service will start automatically every time, and it won´t let you change it from services.msc.
    I made a support request with Webroot regarding this issue, we´ll see whether they reply or not. They should, people should not be forced to have an unnecessary process running... I also asked them what the new service, WRConsumerService.exe, is for...

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

What kind of computer (hardware and software) do you have ? Does that particular service consume so many resources ?

I wouldn't count on Webroot's technical 'support', I still have an open ticket from more than a month ago ...

7. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I have a ticket open for more then a year :thumbd:

8. jhr76

jhr76 Registered Member

It doesn´t take THAT much, the Spy Sweeper Engine can range anywhere from 8 to 15 megs, not sure about CPU usage, and I don´t know about the new service included with version 6 (WRConsumerService.exe) since it´s pretty new, but it really bugs me to have 2 useless processes hogging my resources when I am trying to run high end games such as Crysis, Far Cry 2 or STALKER: Clear Sky and I´ve tweaked my services to have as little as possible running in the background....
    I have a Core 2 Duo E6400 at 2,13 Ghz, 2 Mb L2 cache, 2 Gbs of DDR2 at 600 Mhz running in dual channel and a GeForce 7950GT with 512 Mbs (PCIe). I know you will say the performance impact is minimal but it still pisses me off to waste resources on a program that should NOT be running unless I start it. And other than that I like Spy Sweeper and I have a license valid until July 2009....

9. jhr76

jhr76 Registered Member

They DID reply, ye of little faith...!!! :p
    Here´s what they said:
    Hi,

The new controls for the hidden settings are CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + S.

Also the new processes WrConsumerService.exe are taking care of the updates from the Webroot server.

Thank you once again for choosing Webroot software.

I will test it once I get home from work :D

10. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Would you perhaps know what SECURITY improvements have been made compared to version 5.5.7 and 5.8 ?
    I wouldn´t exactly trust Webroot for their online backup offer ...

11. jhr76

jhr76 Registered Member

No, I don´t. As a matter of fact I created the account so I can use the backup features (just out of curiosity, I don´t really care about it, I do my own backups), I was sent a mail to verify it, did so and it said it would be ready within the hour. It is a week later and now everytime I open Spy Sweeper it prompts me to log in to the backup account, I enter the correct info and it says the login failed, so that´s a real pain and I can´t find any way to disable that... :mad:

12. banana0beach

banana0beach Registered Member

Worked like a charm! Thanks a lot.

13. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Just curious to know that the hidden controls in the yellow radar has been replaced by CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + S, quite a complex combination :eek: I have been a beta tester of Spy Sweeper some time ago but have given up.

Glad to know that it works on your box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.