Disabling netBIOS on XP?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Birdman, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Is it recommended to DISABLE netBIOS from Windows XP start-up?

I've heard that enabling it is a security risk....and disabling it might mess up your internet connection.

A little program called Windows Worms Doora Cleaner 1.4.1 recommends to disable it. (see screenshots)

Currently my ISP is AT&T Yahoo DSL.

Advice needed. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

Here are some remarks about this from Stem, a resident firewall and networking expert here.

3. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

For that box just click yes.

I too have AT&T Yahoo DSL and disabling NetBIOS has caused no problem for me.

5. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Same here: using WWDC from Firewallleaktester never caused me any kind of problem either with dialup or broadband, with or without router with any kind of connection.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it's safe to keep on if you have a hardware firewall/router, but if you have a single computer with just a software firewall it's best to disable it.

you can find it by right-clicking on your network properties and selecting properties, then selecting IPv4 and selecting advanced and/or properties on the next few popups. i always disable the LMHash option in the same window, at least i think it's the LMH o_O i thought that didn't sound quite right, it's this - LmHosts lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.