Disabling internet explorer.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Red Moon, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Im using firefox as my browser and ive disabled internet explorer in windows features.
    Is there any reason i should have it enabled or am i ok leave it as it is.:doubt:
    Thanks.:cool:

2. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

I think Windows updates depends on IE and other third party programs too, I could be wrong, others will confirm this or say its wrong.

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi Beethoven1770
    I think it should be fine.

On my x64OS what I do is make Firefox the default browser, so if for any reason a app uses IE to open a page it will use IE x32bit and the page opens Firefox, but the IE x64bit version [more secure] does not default to Firefox.

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

4. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I did this as well, but then put IE back. I came to find that my other apps do indeed use IE connection settings to connect to their servers for updates, Comodo & Sandboxie being among them. So it's just far more convenient for me to keep IE than to manually get updates every time. And since they use IE conn. settings, I think it prudent to have IE fully operational & patched.

So now I just block IE in my FW settings, SRP, and set up a fake proxy (0.0.0.0) in internet options to block access. Then once a month remove those restrictions for my "update day".

But I don't recommend uninstalling/removing IE altogether for reasons stated above, after further review.

5. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

nonsense, I have had IE uninstalled the moment I format / install Windows, that's the first thing I do, is to remove that POS of browser.

The only problem I ran with when clicking on the update for Acronis True Image, it IE is not installed, it wouldn't launch my default browser instead it is trying to launch IE so basically nothing happens.

I just update it manually. That is not a problem of havine IE installed but a problem to the crappy programmer who made Acronis in such a way that it wants to launch IE rather than launch the default browser.

I do play a game on MSN Games network called Spades (my fav. cards game) and that NEEDS IE and won't run on anything else, so I install teh IE teh tab and I can run it just fine, in fact, it runs better than with IE for that matter

6. luciddream

You can't call something nonsense just because it doesn't apply to you personally. Everything I said was valid. And I think people should be made aware of the risks & inconveniences involved before going ahead with it, don't you?

I certainly wouldn't call Tzuk or Melih "crappy programmers" because their products use IE connection settings to update. They're 2 of the best security products I've ever used. My method makes updating those 2 apps much easier, not to mention Windows Updates, and my restrictions remove the attack surface associated with it the rest of the time. And keeping it around, dormant, isn't using any resources either. So I just don't see the point in removing it entirely, unless you just have a deep seeded hatred of it and can't tolerate the sight of it.

7. berryracer

didnt mean to offend u bro

but my windows update works fine and it always did without trh !3

anyway man, i hate anything MS makes except for Windows and Office. the first thing i do when I install windows is:

- Disable the uselss program compatibility service (was useful in the early days of 7 but never now

- uninstall IE
    - Uninstall media center (useless gimmick)
    - Uninstall WMP (MPC-HC stomps all over it using the madVR + LAV decoders in terms of quality and it has a much better user interface
    - Uninstall the Tablet PC Input :rolleyes:

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I love how you two are arguing over something that's completely different on the respective versions of Windows you're using (Xp vs 7)

9. luciddream

^ That thought did occur to me ^

10. berryracer

oh sorry, I'm talking about Windows 7 d00d! were you talking about XP?? LOLL :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If it was XP, then yes, IE is a must unfortunately

11. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Remove IE as your default Browser. There is no reason that I could understand why you would want to remove the component from your O/S.

12. The Red Moon

ive disable IE in windows services i have NOT removed it as i think that would have dire results on the OS.
    But comodo updates just fine here with it disabled and i have received windows updates too and i havent experienced any side effects.
    Im not sure if any other windows components rely on internet explorer running.o_O

13. luciddream

Thanks for the info. hmm... that's interesting. Never knew you could disable it in Windows Components and it'd still function fine. I wonder then, what is even the point of listing it there?

14. The Red Moon

I beg your pardon i should have said "windows features".I unticked IE within there and it doesnt seem to have effected anything.:ninja:

15. encus

encus Registered Member

Just leave it enabled as it will do no harm and make Firefox as your default browser.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.