Directory Opus 12 Released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hadron, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Directory Opus is the best of the best of File Managers, in my opinion, and GPSoftware has just announced the release of Directory Opus 12.

There are too many new features to mention in this thread, but you can check the Release Notes, or better still have a look at the What's New in Directory Opus 12 video highlighting some of the changes. It really is a superb piece of software and an amazing File Manager. My computers feel bare without it.

What do you think of it?

2. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

had it since amiga days in the 90s

Expensive though since the cheaper version lacks some essential features to me.
    Got a licence but reluctant to get more

3. Gaddster

Gaddster Registered Member

Directory Opus (all the way up to Magellan 2) was amazing on the Amiga (especially set up as a Workbench replacement), however I find the Windows version to be Directory Opus in name ONLY. Which sure, its got all the bells & whistles but id have the Amiga versions over the Windows one any day of the week.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

As a former Amiga user, I've never liked Directory Opus on either the Amiga or PC. I find that most of the time, Windows Explorer is all I need.

5. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Whereas there is an array of Win file managers out there Total Commander is a benchmark, imho.

6. Marcelo

Marcelo Registered Member

Directory Opus is an amazing file manager, flexible and programmable. There are some amazingly interesting scripts for it out there. It is also way too expensive. I see no reason to update my version 11 license to version 12.

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Can anyone explain why you would need such a tool? I've tried third party file managers but I always came to the conclusion that Win Explorer was good enough for me.

8. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Tabbed browser. Better Explorer is one of the most useful third party file managers. If you want to look up different things, Windows Explorer begins to feel limited.

9. Marcelo

Marcelo Registered Member

Try working quickly with files form 7 or 8 different folders, some in a FTP server and you'll quickly understand why I use Opus :)

10. Rasheed187

I will check it out, never heard of it before. I tried to make a switch to XYplorer, but I guess I just don't need those extra features, it's bit too overwhelming.

OK, so it's basically about power users who need certain features.

11. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

I would suggest you trial it and see for yourself. Then you will know.

12. Rasheed187

To clarify, I was mainly interested in how other people make use of these tools. Like I said, I tried some of them but I didn't see any "must have" features. But I'm not saying that Win Explorer is perfect, it could use a couple of improvements.

13. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Although not using Opus, my third party File Manager is, hands down, my most-used app.
    I find Windows Explorer frustrating.
    For me, a File Mgr with dual panes & numerous options is invaluable.
    I created custom icons on main menu for Documents, Photos, AutoCAD dwg.s, etc. whereby clicking on them immediately takes me to the appropriate directory.
    I even created one that opens up Notepad.
    There are many FMs available. It took me a while to find one that was feature laden, but user friendly. Many offered too much, making them awkward / confusing.

14. guest

guest Guest

15. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

We all know the best file manager out there is very expensive, but with 40%, it makes the price reasonable. :thumb:

16. guest

guest Guest

17. guest

guest Guest

18. guest

guest Guest

19. guest

guest Guest

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This is turned into a popular item and catching on more all the time. Thanks @mood

21. guest

guest Guest

22. guest

guest Guest

23. guest

guest Guest

24. guest

guest Guest

25. guest

guest Guest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.