Dilemma - Scheduling Image Backup And Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by huntnyc, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I run Shadow Defender to shadow my C drive leaving data partitions unshadowed and I also run SP 3.3 for images of both system drive (manually imaged when unshadows) and data drives (scheduled images when in shadow mode on C). Problem - SP stores schedule information in registry which is normal but my machine when rebooted is restored back to earlier state including registry so SP thinks it did not run a schedule when it did and launches the imaging of data partitions on restart which I usually cancel if I think of it.

Dilemma - I want to run my shadow program but I love convenience of scheduled images working reliably and as expected. What do you do in these instances? If I decide not to run SD, I will install an AV again. But, if I run SD, I might have to give up scheduled backups. Thanks for your input.

Gary

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Gary

What kind of backup schedule, and how often do you come out of shadowmode.

Pete

3. huntnyc

Pete,

Thanks. I come out of Shadow mode to update Vista, probably twice a wekk and to update other software programs when necessary.

My backup runs my E drive daily with critical docs - uses incrementals 1 full and 5 incrementals.

Another schedule runs E F G and H aprtitions containing various data once a week full backups on Saturdays. It is this job that SP launches on Sundays even if I don't come out of shadow mode after rebooting when I take my laptop on the road to work. Thanks again.

Gary

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not sure I have a real answer. Any reason you can't leave the machine out of shadow mode, except when on line, and when you aren't keep it off the net, especially the laptop?

5. huntnyc

Will consider that Pete but since it is my working machine also, I am online for hours each day with it so I might have to dump my schedule and use my calendar app to remind me of when to do images but I don't like that much eaither. So will give it more thought and thanks.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.