Digital Serial Numbers?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Jack D. Browser, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack D. Browser

Jack D. Browser Registered Member

Philly, PA, U.S.A. & Tangier, Morocco, Africa
    Hi All! Though I do know something about protecting my PC from attack, I know nothing about finding a stolen one! Also, I knew of no other forums that might know any answers to my questions, which might seem rather nieve. Anyway, we had a brand new PC stolen before it was ever removed from it's box. I thought it should be a simple matter to track down IF someone ever tries to go online with it, but have been told, by those who should know, that is not the case. My thought's were, yes, they can activate the O/S with the included keycode, but would the PC not connect to the maker automatically for registration, or updates or something, and wouldn't it send out some sort of like digital serial number or something, which could identify this PC? Or, would it not be able to be identified through any software updates that may be sought out, via the software's keycode being registered by the manufacturer, and tied to the exact PC it was installed in? This may sound rather stupid of me, and I'd really never gave it any thought until this happened, but it seemed to me IF (The key word being IF.) someone went online with it, and it were to automatically connect to either MS or HP (It was an HP PC, with XP Media Center Edition.), in the background or whatever, since I wouldn't expect them to actually try to register it, (Though, they may know how to prevent any background type of connections) then, I would have thought the specific machine and/or O/S that is installed in it could/would certainly be idetifiable. Why wouldn't it be? My machine is insured, but I have to admit I'm REALLY curious about this now! You know, the why's & why not's.
    Thanks for any explanations in this area, that apparently is a misconception on my part. I just would assume that identifying it would be rather simple, using some type of digital signature or serial number, or whatever. To me, that doesn't seem that far out. Why am I wrong here? o_O

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

They do make tracking software just for your situation with one exception, It has to be installed before it is stolen. check here and here and here

bigc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.