Differential backup same size as the base archive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Atronach, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atronach

Atronach Registered Member

Hi,
    I've been using Paragon Backup & Recovery 10.1 Free Edition on Win7 x64 PRO for few days now and I don't get the differential backup idea. I've made the base archive of my internal disk. With the normal compression it's about 65 gigs. When I try to do the differential backup and choose the appropriate base archive for it - it takes exactly the same size of 65 gigs and have to wait another hour to complete the process. I suppose it's not like this by design isn't it? Even If I try it right after the base archive making process. My internal drive is nicely defragged and backups are stored on an external USB drive. In the settings skipping auxiliary OS and archive files is left checked by default.

2. Atronach

Atronach Registered Member

Update: I left the differential backup finished - the diff folder takes only 130 mb but the whole process lasted for an hour - 130 mb for 1 hour, that's weird, where could be the problem? Thanks.

3. Banger696

Banger696 Registered Member

I did a diff backup of a 31gb drive and the size of the diff backup was 31gb. :rolleyes:
    Also checking the archive integrity just wizzed by in seconds so that was a lot of use wasnt it. Only way to test is to restore and see if it works on a non production machine. Not ideal.

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Diif backup will take a while. Not because of the amount it is backing up - it has to check all the contents of the base image against the entire current contents of the drive - so it knows what the differences are.

Shouldn't matter - Paragon is low on resource usage, so you should be able to work over the top.

If you want to check arc integrity, you need to check the relevant box when you create the image. Otherwise, the integrity check won't be able to find anything wrong - that's why it whizzes past in seconds.

Hope it helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.