Difference between .tib and all files?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by davehries, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davehries

davehries Registered Member

I have a question when I am setting up to create an image I need to chose whether to create a tib image or all files image. What is the difference and when should I use tib and when should I use all files?

I searched these forums, but nothing found.

Thanks

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Files and folders is just that. The files and folders are included in the backup.

The .tib files are image files of your disk or partition. All the used sectors are copied into the tib file without regard to what the information is. By doing this the file system is avoided and the backup can usually be made quicker. The tib image allows you to restore the entire disk or partition just as it was when you made the backup.

So if you have a disk failure you can restore your entire system to the new disk using tib files. If you only have backed up certain files using the Files and Folders option then you will be missing a lot of stuff although you hopefully will have your important work that you can put back after you reload the OS.

Some people like to make images of the disk before trying new software or other tests so they can then restore the disk to the state it was before they did the tests and know that it is exactly as it was. Not everyone trusts System Restore or uses GoBack or whatever or assumes uninstalls will remove everything from the registry.

3. davehries

davehries Registered Member

Thanks.

So, for normal imaging of the boot disk I should use "tib" and not "all files".

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

davehries:

Just in case you're asking something completely different from what seekforever answered about -- if you're talking about what to choose in this "Create Backup Wizard" dialog, here's an image of it:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/crofttk/tibfiles.jpg
    THEN YOU DEFINITELY WANT TO LEAVE THAT SELECTION ON "Backup Archives (*.tib)" !!!

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Crofftk,
    Good point, I may have jumped to an erroneous conclusion.

I went through the wizard without actually doing the final step and it looks like if you select All Files (*.*) and don't put in an extension with you your filename it will write the image without an extension. Presumably you could rename it after but why tempt fate. If you specify an extension it is OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.