Diffence between imaging and fd-isr

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by raakii, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raakii

raakii Registered Member

pls help me out .I am unable to understand this
    Why should anyone use fd-isr for restore if the image restore itself takes 5 minutes, Is fd-isr nothing but image restore with a pre-os .o_O

Pls tell me its advantages?

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I think 5 minutes i way too long if I want to jump between different versions and configurations of Windows or if I want to test some software and want no trace of that software. (Im talking about the not sold anymore original FDISR with up to ten snapshots)
    If you think 5 minutes is good I guess you have no need for FDISR.

3. raakii

raakii Registered Member

the problem with fd-ir i found is that it takes around 40 minuts to take secondary snapshot,and the whole process copies the individual files and my free space is reduced in C drive is reduced to 1 gb .So my C drive now has two os ,one of which is hidden .

Is there any way of decreasing the time and space for secondary snapshot?i use virtualizers for testing softwares ,so i dont switch between diff, configs frequently.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Which version of FDISR are you using. The original or Rescue.

5. raakii

raakii Registered Member

original fd-isr proff.

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

First,there is a discrepancy with Imagerestore(5min.) and the creation of the FDISR snapshot (40min.)I guess there's something wrong with FdISR (anchoring,disabling security services,whatever ),time it take to create a snapshot is way to long relative to image restore time.
    Another point is if images fail to restore(it can happen) then FDISR archives are there as a safeguard to bring you current in no time with a new install of the OS and then copy/update from archives.

7. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Is 40 minute the normal snapshot creation for u guys using it?wats the restore time for this software (for10 gb of data).How long is the snapshot to archive(and vice versa) conversion time.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Depend partially on your hardware,with a duo core E6850 and a raptor as a system drive,for me it take 8 min. to create a 12 gig. snapshot/archive.To create a second snapshot on the drive itself would take a litle longer,i guess on my rig around 14 min. or so.Must add that i created the second snapshots on the same drives on my rigs 2 years ago so its a bit guessing concerning these timings.

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

As said above, the time it takes to create a new snapshot will vary a lot, machine to machine, however, creating new snapshots is not something you need to do very often. The first creation of a snapshot takes a long time because it is making a 100% copy of the primary snapshot - all files and directories.

I only ever created my alternate snapshots right after I installed the software two or three years ago. Since then, I only "update" the snapshots, which is a lot quicker since it only applies what has changed since the last time the snapshot was updated. (I have a laptop with a not so fast disk drive. A 6GB snapshot does take about 40 minutes to create from scratch. However, my average time to update a snapshot, assuming minimal changes over the course of using the PC for a few days or weeks, is only a couple minutes. Obviously, the more that has changed, the longer it would take to update a snapshot.)

FD-ISR is not imaging software. With imaging software you might frequently create a full image (copy) of a drive, and if that takes you 5 minutes, that's great. With FD-ISR you don't create new snapshots all the time. That's not the way its meant to be used. You maintain some number of alternate snapshots, per however you choose to use the software, and update them whenever you want to save the changes made since the last update.

Think of FD-ISR as a package that allows you to maintain a set of bootable, fully functional Windows partitions, each at different states. You use them in any way you wish - jumping from one to another as fast as your PC can reboot. The main function of the update process then is to simply syncronize two partitions (i.e. apply all changes from one to the other).

The "restore" like action in FD-ISR is not an image restore. It's simply an update back to the primary snapshot (or any snapshot you want) of the things that have changed. If little has changed, the "restore" could be very fast indeed.

10. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Thanks for explaining things patiently .

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Raaiki

Also explore using archives. I only use one slim second snapshot, and archives.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.