Didnt uninstall trial before installing full version. Problems?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Darrin, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrin

Darrin Registered Member

I had the trial on and made the purchase this morning. I installed over the trial. Restarted and it looks like everything went fine.

I was reading my email from NOD32 and it states that its "Crucial" to uninstall trial or beta versions.

Am I going to have any problems? Should I leave it or uninstall and reinstall?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Darrin

I would uninstall/reinstall. Delete the Eset folder in program files also. Restart and reinstall.

3. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello Darrin,

If you don't uninstall, and remove the ESET folder from Program Files after rebooting, it will stop updating after 30 days.

4. Darrin

Darrin Registered Member

Thanks. I noticed it did still show that my trial expires in 4 days. So I went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled.
    Looks OK now.

Thanks

5. gueri

gueri Registered Member

Hi, I used nod 32 for the first time after I won a free year license courtesy of this forum. I had been using Nortons AV for years, but I liked nod 32 better and uninstalled Norton's and installed nod 32 and everything fine. That was 31 days ago.

So today I had a message fromo the nod 32 board saying my trial version has expired and I cannot use it any longer.

I installed using the password provided as a winner, and I thought that it would be good for one year, however some error must have been made at installation time.

My question is this, how do I go about installing it for one year using that password? Hard as I tried by myself to do it, I didn't have any success, and I'm worried that my system is running without an antivirus at present.

Any help, much appreciated,

gueri

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Did you delete the Eset folder in program files before installing your new version?
    Delete that folder, restart, and reinstall. (After removing NOD through the add/remove programs in the control panel.)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  7. gueri

gueri Registered Member

further to my previous posting, I do realize now that at the time I installed nod 32, I tried the commercial version first, only to obtain a warning saying:

Authorization Required
    This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Then, being a bit numbed by the fear of not having antivirus ready, I panicked, I'd supposed, and did clik on:

If you are not a registered user, you can download the trial version here.

So obviously I did install the trial version that has now expired. The question, then, does it protect me, even it doesn't update signatures, whilst I intall the commercial version? and, is it possible for me to benefit, this late, of the free license won, or would I need to purchase (which I'll gladly do after this test of 30 days) the license?

Thanks for any answers

gueri

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Please download a FRESH copy of Nod32 from www.nod32.com you will need to COPY and PASTE your Username and Password from the email provided to you. This will allow you to download the commercial version.

Then uninstall your current Trial version.

Remove the Eset Folder from C Drive> Program Files.

Install the FRESH copy of Nod32 that you downloaded above.

Let us know how you go…

Cheers :D

9. gueri

gueri Registered Member

Hi Blackspear,
    many thanks for your prompt response and for your help.

When I open the link www.nod32.com, and select my country, (Australia) the window address appearing on the browser is:

http://www.nod32.com.au/nod32/home/home.htm

that page offers a menu on the left for free cleaners, the main portion of the page shows links to virai bulletings; also info about the 2.5 version for xp, but not download botton for vers. 2.0.

When I click on the tab "download', above in that page, or in some other page related, and choose to download de standard version for win95/98, invariable my system produces the following response:

Authorization Required
    This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.
    Apache/2.0.53 (Unix) Server at u4.eset.com Port 80

thus I wonder what I need to do to access the download link and have the programa downloaded.

Again, many thanks for your assistance,

gueri

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. gueri

gueri Registered Member

Goodnes above, Longinus' spear must have been a black one, since it was loaded with good intentions, and as such I apreciate yours Blacky, but perhaps I could have stated better my situation in my previous postings.

The situation is this, I never reached yet a point where I may introduce the user name and password provided to me (that is, at another place that at installation time with the trial version)

I thought I might be able to introduce such name and password, at installation time, or at least, at download time, but if it needs to be introduced as a conditio sine qua no to download the commercial version, I don't see, for the life of me, where to put it in.

As for the link that you just sent, ronjor, behaves exactly the same; I do realize the statement therein:

Registered users can download the desired product by clicking the "Download" button located next to the relevant product:

and did realize too, that I'm not a registered user, but tried several times to register without any success. I tried to do it at

http://www.eset.com/support/support.htm

but that page only provides for already registered users to change their username and e-mail address

Thus, the only avenue open is to click on the link to download the 95/98 version, which invariably produces the error quoted before

Seems I'm stuck with the duck,

but very appreciative for the moderator's help,

cheers

gueri

12. Blackspear

Hi Gueri, please try the following:

1. Click on http://www.nod32.com/scriptless/download/download.htm which takes you directly to the Nod32 download page.

2. Click on the version of Nod32 that you want to download.

3. A popup box will appear (make sure your browser allows popups for this website), this is where your Username needs to be pasted. Your UN will begin with “AV-”

4 Copy and Paste the “Password” provided on your email. Please not it must be copied precisely, make sure you are not copying a “space” at the beginning or end of your Password.

5. Click “OK” and your download will begin.

Hope this helps…

Let us know how you go.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  13. gueri

gueri Registered Member

hi Blackspear,
    deactivated, temporarily, spybot's teatimer, and unchecked the square in options for Google's popups' killer, but still same error message; would I need to uninstall Google's tool bar?

also in the browser internet options, privacy, did introduce nod32.com as to always be allowed to send cookies

yet not change in the behaviour; wonder what other popupkiller might be there, but I can't think of any

could it be that the trial version, still installed, could be blocking me? should I uninstall it first?

thanks for your perseverance,

gueri

14. Blackspear

No. What browser are you using?

15. gueri

gueri Registered Member

did realize just now,for the first time, (nothing like practice to learn) that Google's popups' killer may be toogled, as you mentioned in your previous posting, to 'allow this site's popups', which is the position it holds now, reference nod32.com, whilst with the browser on this forum's page, it remains in the blocking popups mood

as you see I'm much of an amateur on this subject, and yet with the popups killer in the desired toogle, and teatimer de-activated, also did deactivate temporarily nod32 trial version, and still the popup doesn't show up

It is a little bit embarrassing to keep trying on asking for more help; if I knew for sure that, on purchasing the license on-line, I wouldn't need that same popup window to install it, I would cease with the attempts to save this one and would go for it

In any case, many thanks again for your patience and perseverance, and also to ronjor,

cheers

gueri

16. gueri

gueri Registered Member

IE 6 SP1

cheers

gueri

17. Blackspear

Didn't you receive a FREE license through this forum?

18. gueri

gueri Registered Member

Indeed, I did

with a message containing the uid and the password, which are the ones I introduced at some stage during the installation of the trial version (thinking that it was the commercial version)

and since it's valid for a year, still would have 11 months of life, but I'm fearing that popup won't appear

whished it did!

cheers

gueri

19. Blackspear

There is something on your system that is blocking the popup window from the Nod32 download section.

I would suggest downloading Nod32 on another computer using your UN and PW, burn the downloaded file to a CD an then uninstall the trial version from your PC and follow my advice above (as in deleting the Nod32 Folder after uninstalling).

20. gueri

gueri Registered Member

Hi Blackspear,
    see you must have started early your tuesday; I'm finishing mine, less than a quarter to midnight.

Run the hard disk scan in safe mode, found some archives with errors and repaired them, then defragmented the hard disk, and run regseeker to clean the register. After that started in normal mode and went to www.nod32.com to try for the last time the download. On that page, google's popups killer, always shows now "site popups allowed", (I used to allow popups by holding the control key down when entering on the page, so I have learnt something new here) yet when I click the link to dwonload the program, still shows the "Authorization Required" caption.

I will heed your advice and tomorrow will go to the local library to donwload the program from their machine to a cd and upload it to my pc. I'll keep you informed about my progress.

Again, so many thanks for your assistance,

cheers

gueri

21. gueri

gueri Registered Member

Hi Blackspear, this morning went to the local cafe and the pc over there (all them run on XP) did, indeed, open the popup box (is w98 s/e incomapatible with that facility?,), so I entered my uid and password and bingo! it downoladed the program. I burnt it to a a cd and just finished now installing it in my pc. It works wonderfully.

Noticed that the 'configuration help' offered in the commercial version differs slightly from the one in the trial version, particularly in respect to the choice of actions to take in case of infected archive, where the commercial version help, favours the choice of prompting for action rather than clear and quarantine, and if not possible delete and quarantine, if memory serves me well there.

I configured it to the best of my ability, and run the nod32 scan, that gaves following report:
    Number of scanned files: 82999
    Number of threats found: 0
    Total sanning time: 923 sec (00:15:23)

Yet, there were two things that I'll dare to mention here, even if perhaps is not the proper place.

These two errors appeared during the scan, in blue coloured text (same as with the trial version previously):

Error ocurred while scanning operating memory. System memory cannot be scanned (the kernel service is not running or an error ocurred while loading nod32m1.vxd)

Error ocurred while scanning MBR and boot sectors. Error reading disk sectors.

And since they are not recognized as threatas, I wondered about them and what possible action might be best.

Also reported en blue coloured letter is advice, about two files in one of Windows subfolders as 'damaged archives' ¿Could those two be removed completely safely?

A happy customer, very appreciative and thankful for your help,

gueri

22. Blackspear

Hi Gueri, good to see that we are making headway.

The first error that you are seeing has been discussed here. The remedy appears to be an uninstall and reinstall of Nod32, including removal of the Eset folder after un-installation (from C Drive> Program Files).

The second error is explained here.

23. gueri

gueri Registered Member

Hi Blackspeare,

Ok, as for the second problem, I'll let it be, since doesn't seem to be a critical one.

As for the first one, now that I have the install program safely stored in "mydownloads" folder, I'll give one go to a clean install.

Will let you know. Thanks, goodness, for this forum,

cheers

gueri

24. gueri

gueri Registered Member

Hi again, you are coming trumps all along, Blackspeare.

Both problems have dissapeared now for good.

I did a clean install, as suggested in those threads you quoted. First time didn't make any change. Then I deleted eset folder, and rebooted in 'safe mode' to install. Then rebooted on normal mode, and downloaded updates.

At this point, advise came in that a new version 2.5 was available, so I accepted, "and u7.eset.com", all 7.083 MB of it, was downloaded. Configured it following guidelines in your thread, and run the manual scan and presto... a clean scan, with no errors, for the first time. Since I don't see yet the way to attach snapshots to these messages I'll copy the scan's log report:

Scanning Log
    NOD 32 version 1.1141 (20050615)
    Checking CRC of NOD 32.EXE: Status OK
    Operating memory is OK.
    Date 16.6.2005 Time 21:18:24
    Scanned disks, folders and files: C
    C:\Win386.SWP - error opening (File locked) [4]
    Number of scanned files: 19439
    Number of threats found: 0
    Time of completion: 21:21:56 Total scanning time: 212 sec (00:03:32)
    Notes:
    [4] File cannot be opened. It may be in use by another application or operating system.

Also, with this new version, I have noticed that for the last hour or so, since I downloaded it, small banners keep on popping from the nod32 icon on the task bar, showing new signatures bein uploaded in real time, which is a novelty for me as far as I have seen antivirus progrmas perform before. Must have, at least, a dozen of them uploaded during this time. The banner shows the name and the size of the file. It is very nice.

So on this joyfull note, might close this thread that has been so profitable for my system. Once more, many thanks for all your help,

cheers

gueri

25. Blackspear

My pleasure Gueri.

All the best to you...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.