did you find utorrent faster then other clients?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Apr 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi

did you find utorrent faster then Halite or tixati torrent clients?

i noticed the number of seeds are many in utorrent compared to halite or tixati and downlaod speed it 's different , at least in my cases
    halite and tixati have DHT enabled

i download some linux distros

fast torrent to make a compare

what do you think?

thanks

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I can't compare with others because I only use Utorrent. For me utorrent is really fast and usually downloads at max. allowed speed. Only bad experience with utorrent I have is when I download large torrents. When pre-allocating files utorrent can use all 8 GB of RAM for file cache.

hqsec

3. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

I have not tried to two you have listed, but I have tried Bittorrent, transmission, Vuze and MediaGet. uTorrent is the lightest and fastest of those, but I use the classic version 2.2.1 and set it not to look for updates, then I run it guarded with AppGuard.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Haven't seen any difference.
    Mrk

5. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

The major problem with the 3x versions of uTorrent is the faulty disk caching, which has finally been fixed in 3.4.

Essentially it made it impossible to download large torrents, or to use the full bandwidth available on fast connections, without having to carefully watch the disk cache. One could reduce but not eliminate the problem via some of the advanced options.

Even setting a high disk cache wouldn't solve it, as it would reach a critical threshold beyond which no disk writes would ever be made. On version 3.4 it's possible to download at 10mb/sec on 24 mixed size torrents (1gb-50gb) without getting the disk overloaded message.

Those still using older versions (see the uTorrent forums for particular well loved version numbers) wouldn't have gotten this disk caching problem in the first place.

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    but it's incredible how many registry keys does it change ... even they say that can be portable
    i will try to block to write in the registry with eset hips , should be enough?

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

may i know which version do you use?
    thanks

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    can i know what to run garded with appguard?

thanks

9. Minimalist

I think it's 3.4.1 (probably not last build) but will have to check it out when I come home. My problem is not the same as described by RJK3. I have no problem with disk cache when downloading files but ONLY when pre-allocating large files. I believe that utorrent zero-writes whole files and during this operation disk cache consumes whole memory and makes system unusable. After pre-allocating is over everything returns to normal.

hqsec

10. Minimalist

I use version 3.4 build 30635. Will update and will see if that solves my problem.

hqsec

11. Austerity

I'm no expert, but any internet facing program or program that is vulnerable should be guarded in my eyes (think PDF programs as well)

12. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

If it's to run utorrent guarded then just add utorrent.exe to the guarded list.

On the OP I dropped utorrent recently for Tixati and couldn't be happier. No difference in speed at all but also no Open Candy or adverts asking if I want to meet foreign ladies that come with utorrent either.

Cheers

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i tried it too tixati ,but the same torrent for example ,utorrent shows 2000 seeds , and tixati 20 seeds ,it's odd
    maybe my tixati configuration is wrong

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Since a while I have been using Qbittorent. It is kind of like what uTorrent was before they became commercial and bloated. It's nice and light. Halite is even lighter but I encountered a few bugs and the last update is from January 2013(http://www.binarynotions.com/halite-bittorrent-client/)
    I reached over 8MB/s with Qbittorent recently so speed-wise it's fine :)

Yes, everything that opens something from the internet; webpages, media files, documents, PDF files, torrents etc.
    More info and guides can be found at the AppGuard thread here on Wilders.

15. Minimalist

I upgraded utorrent to last version 3.4.1 (30740) and the problem is still present. I tested with 70 GB torrent and here is what's happening (see screenshot):

1. disk is fully utilized trying to pre-allocate files
    2. usage of RAM is constantly rising until all RAM is consumed and system becomes unresponsive
    3. somewhere during this process utorrent stops downloading and uploading

After all files are pre-allocated everything returns to normal and there is no more problems. Until adding another large torrent...

hqsec

Attached Files:

16. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Utorrent was the best some years ago, nowdays there are better options, Qbittorrent is faster and without adware/crappyware.

17. cnople

cnople Registered Member

qBittorrent user here too, I found uTorrent to be buggy on my system.

18. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

Yep and for the same reasons. Plus it's open source/GPLv2+.

Isn't Utorrent "License Adware" now?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utorrent :doubt:

19. Austerity

No advertisements or any of that other crap in utorrent 2.2.1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.