DiamondCS releases Port Explorer

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Wayne - DiamondCS, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/

Free evaluation download is on the site. This program is the result of over a year of intense research and development, and utilises technology developed for our upcoming TDS4 anti-trojan system. More information is available on the website, and the program comes with a very comprehensive help manual.

We hope you enjoy our latest software offering! :)

We also thank Paul Wilders / wilderssecurity.com for graciously hosting this forum!

Best regards,
    All of us here at DiamondCS

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Re:Brand new program from DiamondCS!

Nice Utility.
    Question-Is this screen going to call out in red actual trojans or exploits on ones system only, or is it also going to call out those annoying "possible" exploits based upon a data base of know trojans using certain ports ?

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/web/bigscreens.php?screen=Main%20Display%202

3. Wayne - DiamondCS

In the Port Explorer helpfile, see the Advanced section and select "Hidden Server Detection" for a comprehensive explanation on red sockets :) (the helpfile should be able to answer most of your questions - if it doesn't, please post here! :))

But to quickly answer your question, Hidden Server Detection (which results in some sockets displaying as red) uses no databases, it's 100% generic. Basically it works by analysing each process in memory to determine if the process has any visible/on-screen attributes, such as a window. If the process is found to be invisible, Port Explorer will show the socket as red, regardless of what port it's listening on. It has detected virtually every trojan that Gavin (our senior trojan analyst) has thrown at it so it's proving to be extremely effective in that respect - it exceeded my expectations.

Best regards,
    Wayne

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

I have a few statements to make about this product and my last post.
    1. I asked that question to see how fast DCS would respond. The response was immediate :)

2. There are many products out there which claim to do similar function (or you need 2 or more to do the same), but there is little or no documentation available from the developer how his program operates. Port Explorer has a helpfile :)

I have already downloaded and read this document. You can too without downloading the program .

It is called pehelp.zip

WOW !

Port Explorer by DiamondCS is one Fine Product.

5. Wayne - DiamondCS

Well, our email support is usually quicker ... :)
    Thankyou for the kind words, and we hope you enjoy the program!

Best regards,
    Wayne

PS. The link for the helpfile is http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/pehelp.zip, but it is included with the Port Explorer download.

6. bubs

bubs Registered Member

Will it in fact form part of TDS-4 when that is ready and released?

And BTW - Congratulations - looks like a very fine toy - sorry - tool - sorry - its very hard to find the right word - when your apps are not only awesome security producst, but such downright fun to play with :D

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Well done Wayne & your team,

Great progrmme which I have had the pivilege to beta test.

As a beta tester I have been able to test this program to death (which I did several times)

Just one of the things which make this program excellent:

I love it when I right click on a process to do a "Who Is" or "Traceroute" and my firewall asks if PE can access the internet, it gives you that nice warm secure feeling inside especially as you know you can KILL that process at any time.

Just one of the GREAT toys!

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I'm personally proud of the hidden server detection, which worked out very well. "Standard" trojans will always show up as red, as they use a hidden form which is created and hidden, or created off screen. This characteristic of trojans lead us to add another user oriented detection method.

Finding if a red socket is a trojan should be quite easy, generally only tray icons can throw you off - but just right clicking your tray icons usually create menus, which then cause Port Explorer to show the process in black. To add to the original question about the red sockets, it will show any such hidden trojans no matter what port they are listening on as explained by Wayne. It's all about whether the program is hiding or not :)

The documentation is something else to be happy about, we welcome future input especially questions from less experienced users as we can then include more information for such users in the next help file. As soon as we get translations for the few remaining languages there will most likely be a new build - this could be very soon as the first complete translations submitted will receive free full licenses each.

9. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Be the First Kid on your block to have Port Explorer. :D :D

I just download and installed it no problems with the Eval. version. It would be nice if the register was in the program instead of the purchase so that it would be easier to use the more secure payment method.

Nice job, now to play...

Loki :cool:

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Congratulations DCS to release for the public this fine tool we've been beta testing and translating with lots of joy, and a learning opportunity it was again too!
    Finally we can speak openly about this fine piece of software.
    It has so much, and finally a good one working on win98 systems too, and far more very useful whistles not found on others somewhere in that field.
    Great Pilli, you tested it tremendously and support here too!

11. FanJ

FanJ Guest

And you yourself, Jooske, deserve credit (and a nice sweet karma cookie) for beta-testing it and translating it into Dutch!!!

Warm regards, Jan.

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

yammieeee! crunch crunch
    [​IMG]

13. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

Is the price for this ($30) in American or Australian Dollars o_O

14. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

well it took me all of 10 min with the evaluation version and i realized i reeeeeeally wanted those buttons to work! LOL! Or maybe it was those colour options?

so i bought 2........ :rolleyes:

Congratulations to the DiamondCS Team and beta-testers! This is a GREAT program!!

thank you!
    snap

15. Wayne - DiamondCS

Hi there snapdragin, and thanks for your kind words :)
    However, we haven't received any order from you? re: "so i bought 2". Let me know if you had any problems

Khaine, all prices are US$

Best regards,
    Wayne

16. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

And i like to the easy language changes; as part of the translation team / testers learned a lot of not only what it means in other languages, but one needs to understand the function for a proper translation in several cases, to choose the right one. One realizes the funny differences in the languages once more!
    So a security tool adding to your cultural, geographical, lingual, etc etc knowledge too at the same time.

17. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Nice utility. Compliments are due :)
    Confirming some differences in behavior between IE (keeps listening) and Opera (flares up when you refresh and disappears again) Very easy to see this way.

Job well done :)

Pieter

18. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Jooske,
    Sorry for the belated reply as my ISP has suffered an "outage" in our area. The weather here has probably soaked the local UBR's.
    Thanks for your comments, your lingual abilities have been oustanding :D
    Hope Wayne & the team have sorted the minor "glitches" from yesterday :oops:
    Just hope this connection holds up!

19. Ghost

Ghost Guest

From Wayne http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=4824
    "Port Explorer v1.101 ready, fixes expiry problem some users reported."

"This fixes the problem that some people were having where PE was expiring on the first run. If you encountered this problem or any other similar problem with running Port Explorer, please download the new build:
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/
    There shouldn't be any problems at all with this build, but naturally if you do have any problems or if you have any questions not answered by the comprehensive help file (http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/pehelp.zip, or pehelp.chm when installed), please just email me at wayne@diamondcs.com.au and I'll personally attend to your query. It's only 1pm here in Perth at the moment so we'll be around for a while :)

Best regards, thankyou for your patience and understanding, and we hope you enjoy Port Explorer! :) "

*corrected URL for you :)*

20. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Wayne - yep, it was the blank screen i got when i used Opera which prevented me from seeing the "confirm order" button, but after going back with IE everything went through ok and i have Port Explorer on both my Win98se & XP-Home working great! :D

Thank you and the DiamondCS Team for creating such a great program!

best wishes,
    snap

21. rockdj99uk

rockdj99uk Registered Member

Played with the eval version for 1/2 hour and decided I definitely need this. Used similar programs that aren't as good but this is excellent.
    Now fully registered and love the full program.

Looking forward to TDS 4.

22. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

And thank you Snap and all the others for using and liking it as much as the beta testers team! It's a joy to moderate this forum about it, knowing we're working with a great product! :)
    We defenitely need this gem. What is very special (among others) it even works and has lot of value on Win98 and 95 systems, while most others in this area at least need 2000/NT or XP, on which this PE works too, of course and has some more tools to enjoy.

23. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

Thanks Wayne, the price for this is a little steep ($60 Aus) Esp for a student, however it does seem worth it.

24. grey_ghost

grey_ghost Registered Member

Hi,

My congratulations to Wayne and Gavin and all the rest of the team on once again producing another fine product.

I didn’t need the evaluation version. :)

25. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:Dbut what we newbys want to know is this easy to use and are the help files in newby format :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.