Dial-up: "Life in The Fast Lane..."

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Hope this is the right spot, on forums, for a hardware question(?)

Still poking along with inexpensive "speed-demon" dial-up for now; but the connecet speed (33.6 at best normally, on a 56K modem), sometimes drops - from one day to next - to 24.0 Kbps and then stays there. Ideas on why this happens? Can I somehow remedy this, assuming I can fiddle with settings to perk it up again, a bit?

I know, I know - get cable modem... that's on the agenda, before long but for now - living with slow/cheap net connectivity.

Thanks, SG1 (Pat)

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Pat

After living with dialup for several years, spending a small fortune on "optimizers", cache programs, etc, I can tell you this: if there is any way to get cable or dsl in any form, do it. :D
    Dialup speed simply cannot be improved enough as far as downloading, rendering web sites, etc.

There are a lot of plans around for dsl or cable that can match dialup in cost in a lot of cases.

My opinion only.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The speed of the net connection on dialup is determined by the number of analog switches the signals have to pass through. I think that the more the number, the less the speed.

I'm lucky to have 46.6kbps minimum (and 48kbps max) on my Dialup connection...:)

4. Arup

Arup Guest

As a last resort, try TCP Optimizer and see if you can get any boost, otherwise you can always revert back to the original Windows setting with a click.

5. im curious what is ur isp?

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Actually on GPRS, I would get 45kbps with no drops at all, day in day out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.