Device Control - Does Not Block Writing CD's

Discussion in 'ESET Endpoint Products' started by James2012, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James2012

James2012 Registered Member

All,

Just so you are aware, there is a current bug (In Version 5.0.2126.0)

Bug: Device Control does not block writing optical devices on Windows 7 Professional

I have only tested it on Windows 7 Professional, but I suspect the same problem will exist in all Windows 7 versions.

ESET have confirmed this as a known bug, and they say it will be fixed in the next version.

Cheers,
    James

2. James2012

It would appear a new version has come out. But not resolved the issue.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Not sure who confirmed it as a bug and who promised that it would be fixed in the next update as the "bug" is in the state of research. It's likely that the burning software uses a different approach to drives than what's being controlled by Device control.

4. James2012

Hi Marcos,

If that's the case, Windows Inbuilt CD/DVD writing would be blocked. But it is not.

Here is the response I got from ESET UK in regards to this bug;

Good Morning,

Concerning the CDRom drives still being able to write CD’s that is now a know bug and our developers have notified us that it is in their Bug tracking system and will be fixed in the next build release of the software (unable to give a date at present when this will be released). As for your other issues with Device Control (may also be fixed in the next build release) unfortunately the logs taken were not usable due to some corruption so please call into Technical Support on 0845 838 0832 (option 3) and we can recreate the logs and submit them again.

Regards,

Unfortunately, a newer build has come out. But no fix. This is unacceptable for a security point of view.

The Device Control promises "Writing Blocked" but does not. Who tested this release?!

I hope it will be fixed soon.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This issue was initially reported on Windows XP and it's been confirmed as fixed in the latest version of Endpoint. I've asked the testers to re-test the built-in cd/dvd writing feature on Windows 7.

6. James2012

Any luck testing this?

Cheers,
    James

7. James2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.