'Destroy' context menu item crashes Explorer

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by zemien, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zemien

zemien Registered Member

I used the Privacy Suite 8 for quite a while. It includes the data wiper that adds a 'Destroy' item in the right-click menu for many items.

Lately, I've been having a problem where right-clicking on a file will crash Explorer. After some tests I decided that the problem lies with the 'Destroy' item. Any context menu that has 'Destroy' will crash explorer.exe, while those that do not work perfectly.

I tried to uninstalling the suite but the context item did not go away. I searched online for help on removing context items but none of the approaches work. I tried two applications - Context Menu Editor and ShellEx View. Both did not show anything remotely familiar to the 'Destroy' item. There are no references to 'Destroy' either in the Registry ShellEx.

I also tried deleting every registry key containing the string 'Acronis'. I have no other Acronis software so it's OK. But there was one key that I could NOT delete: It's at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\Scheduler. Attempting to delete it will show an error message stating that an error occured while deleting it. So much for informative error messages...

So, at this juncture, I'm stuck. I tried looking around here but the closest thing that resembles my problem is the blank context menu option. Even then, the computer doesn't crashes.

It would be great if anyone here can provide some guidance. I think it might have been a software install that caused it, but I can't pinpoint what. I'm running Windows XP SP2 with most new patches installed.

Thank you in advance!

2. zemien

zemien Registered Member

I went back to ShellEx View and started disabling any items that are suspicious, even if they are not from Acronis. Eventually, it worked, and my context menus no longer crash Explorer.

Hope anyone else who has similar problems will benefit from this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.