Desktop Weather question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gracie123, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hi, using Weatherbug Plus right now for my weather... I am curious if I was to switch to Desktop Weather by The Weather Channel (www.weather.com) if anyone uses this program... do you know how Desktop Weather works when there is say more than 1 severe weather alert issued? I know what it does when one severe weather alert is issued, but just curious if it lines them up all in a row in the little window or what does it do....

Thanks, hope someone can help me :)

Gracie

2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Desktop Weather used to display consecutive weather alerts in one window and lined them up so you just used a pull down bar on the side to scan them. That was about 2 years ago when I used it. Just curious, are you unhappy with weather bug plus? I rather liked it but dropped it when I got tired of having so much stuff running on my computer. I just use forecastfox with my Firefox browser now...:cool:

3. gracie123

Hello :),

OK great. :) I was hoping it would do that. Now, does it make a sound when each alert after one is made to alert you theres another you need to look at if you want?

I really do like it :). I believe it offers MUCH more accurate weather than The Weather Channel but I just wish I knew for sure if Weatherbug Plus contains any spyware...

4. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I remember it made a sound (I think it was thunder) or you could choose from your own sounds. Thats the way it set up about 2 years ago. I don't know what kind of updates it has gone through since. As far as Weatherbug plus and spyware goes it is supposed to be spyware free. I have read countless forum discussions on the topic but Weatherbug swears up, down, and sideways that the plus version is spyware free. I never noted anything unusual calling out from my computer using it, hope this helps...:eek: :cool:

5. gracie123

I have as well searched on Google a lot of forums... websites and so forth. Just curious, do you know how many minutes or hours go by before Desktop Weather see's for new alerts?

6. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

They pick up the alerts as soon as they are issued. Another nice program that is definitely spyware free would be Weather Pulse. That program displays satellite shots and even has links to current video forecasts at weather.com and accuweather as well as radar displays. Its food for thought eh...:D

7. gracie123

Hi Mongol, sorry for the delay in reply. I will give Weather Pulse a try.

Does it recieve National Weather Service alerts and how often? Do you know? :)

Thanks!

8. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Yes it does and you can set up sounds to get your attention. You could also look at Weather Watcher from Singer Creations. This also pulls up Weather.com charts and satellites. Just be sure to download the smaller spyware free version. They specify which version is which on their site to their credit. I like this one because it gives lots of local weather information. So many choices, so little time....:eek: :D

9. gracie123

Thanks Mongol :D.. does the "Weather Watcher" program recieve alerts too?

10. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Yes it does, I think they feed from the Weather Channel. They can also be tuned to system sounds to get your attention...:cool:

11. gracie123

OK thanks :D and I hope I am not bothering you Mongol but do you know of a program that has a blue background and some tiny icons... its also with Weather Channel... I forgot the name of it, wondering if how I described it you would know of it or not.. :)

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Another option is Forecastfox Enhanced for users of Firefox. You can move the icons to any location you like. By hovering over the icon, you get the radar or current weather data. And, if you are under a severe weather alert, a red icon will appear as well. Accuweather is the supplier of data. Very nice extension for Firefox.

Attached Files:

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Another screenshot.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.