desktop to laptop

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Stewart94, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stewart94

Stewart94 Registered Member

Does anyone know if I can use true image to back up my files to an external drive and then from there transfer them to my laptop? Ideally I would like to be able to use true image to keep my laptop marching in harmony with the desktop; that is by allowing both to use the same external hard drive for back ups.
    Thank you

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If I'm reading this right, you simply want to transfer any files you work on on the desktop, to the laptop. I think this is what the original Briefcase feature was meant to do except the other way around. The scenarios was you take your laptop out on the job and when you get home you update your desktop with the changed files.

I've never used Briefcase, but there are also other ways to do this, and as you have an external drive, I would just use windows explorer to copy the files over. If you just want to manage the changed files, xcopy with the right switches will do that. Some users also mentioned Karen's Replicator as being able to manage files and folders in the manner you want, but I've never tried it.

3. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

For this scenario I would use a sync app such as goodsync (or others). It examines the files/folders and copies only what has changed or is new. It can also propagate deletions.

4. Stewart94

I have tried briefcase but found it too difficult so up to now I have been using windows explorer as you say and copying files etc that way. Unfortunatelt with it there is no easy way to transfer just the changes to any particular file; you have to manually approve or cancel the crossover.
    I have now downloaded Goodsync as you suggested and shall give that a try.
    Thanks to both.

5. ksimpson007

ksimpson007 Registered Member

I use SmartSync Pro. They also do a 30 day free trial.

6. Stewart94

I have now tried Goodsync but find that I am really asking too much of the computers.
    For example in my docs I have a folder named tax; it contains letters sent out, letters received (scanned in) and excel spreadsheet.
    What I wanted was to have any updates automatically copied from the desktop to the laptop but that is not happening.
    Neither Goodsync not briefcase recognise changes within excel not do they delete letters from the laptop that I have deleted from the desktop.
    If I have to check each file individually then I am just as well using windows explorer, however this is almost impossible timewise as I have over 1000 files in my docs contained in 750 folders.
    Thanks again to all.

7. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

Hmm, that's odd it didn't work for you because that is essentially what a sync app is supposed to do. If the file exists on both the 1st location and the 2nd location It compares modified dates and overwrites the older version. You might want to give SmartSync Pro a try as ksimpson007 recommended or others...Second Copy or Microsoft SyncToy (Free).

8. Stewart94

I think that I should have deleted the folders in the laptop before I tried to match it up with the desktop. What has happened is that many of the folders and files have been duplicated.
    I shall try again.

9. Stewart94

Did as I said and it now appears to be working.
    Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.