Desktop PC for programming

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ams963, Dec 2, 2021.

1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Thank you very much.

2. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

It's desktop. I guess unauthorized physical access is less likely than laptop that you carry in backpack to university or work. I think it is optional to have encryption at all in this case but devil is in the details.
    Last but not least AES can be done by OS. AES is performant algorithm. Furthermore CPUs for several years have AES acceleration built-in, so software-based encryption is even faster.

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah I understand now. I will stick with the non aes non rgb ssd. Thank you.

On the same note, is the 512gb ssd size alright? I cannot afford anything more right now. I plan to use it only for learning and applying programming. I will use the old hdd from my old broken laptop which is to be installed in the new pc as a second drive to store media files. I will add more hdds for backup and more media files later.

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Programming doesn't take a lot of space. Media files do. If you are mostly going to be programming it should be good for a while.

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Should I downsize to 256gb or stick with 512gb?

Also will the 21.5 inch screen be too small or just enough for programming?

6. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Buy the biggest hard drive you can afford. As far as size of screen, only you can answer what works best for you, myself, I will always use a bigger screen, thus my reason for hating laptops.

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Not ssd? Will hdd not hamper or slow down programming?

8. xxJackxx

I'm sure SSD is what was meant. The screen size will somewhat depend on what the native resolution will be.

9. xxJackxx

After looking at the monitor you selected I am going to suggest for just a few dollars more and the same brand consider a 27 inch with a resolution of 2560x1440. I don't want to post a direct link but google this and you should find it at a good price:
    LG 27QN600-B 27” QHD (2560 x 1440) IPS Display with FreeSync, sRGB 99% Color Gamut, HDR10 with a 3-Side Virtually Borderless Design, Black

10. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Correct.:thumb:

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Okay then. I will stick with the 512gb.
    Oh no that would be too expensive for me. The cheapest 27" qhd monitor I could find is from asus and that would cost 2.5 times the one in my setup and a lg one would cost 3.4 times. I can only save up and try to get a better monitor in the near future. And when I do get one in the future, should I replace the current monitor with a 27" better resolution or add a same second monitor or see if I can really stretch out my budget and get a fhd 24" lg monitor? But I am afraid the 24" fhd would be less sharp than the 21.5" I chose in my setup.

12. xxJackxx

The monitor I specified is currently $226.99 at Amazon. The one you listed was more than $200 when I searched for it. Unless you have found an incredible deal on the one you specified, the difference was not more than $10 - 20. A larger monitor is less sharp only is they are the same resolution. If the larger one is higher resolution than it may even out or be better. By all means buy the one you want, but I think you would enjoy programming at 1440p more than 1080p.

13. reasonablePrivacy

I coded on 15.6“ laptop for a while.... it can be done
    Important question whether programming alone would be everything you do. Maybe you would need to do something in VM while coding or having communicator in host OS sharing screen with someone etc

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh, so it is like that! Would getting a second 21.5 inch same monitor in the furure and placing them side by side be more useful in situations similar to what you described.
    That monitor is sadly not available here.
    Unfortunately here the diffetence between a fhd and qhd is at least 2.3 times even with deals. The cheapest qhd of any size starts at about $420.
    I understand now. I will keep an eye on a qhd or even 4k monitor in the future. The 21.5" fhd will have to do for now. But I believe as I am just starting to learn programming and a newbie, I will get by fine. Start small and climb up step by step, right?:thumb:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  15. xxJackxx

Not knowing where the Parallel Universe you claim to be in is :D I don't think it is valid to make any specific recommendations on deals or such. Given that it sounds like you should be good to go with the list you specified with a SSD.

16. reasonablePrivacy

Many people do that. Monitors size doesn't need to be the same.

17. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I live in Bangladesh. Yeah I too believe now I am good to go with the pc. Thank you very much. I could not have made such a good pc setup without everyone's help.
    Okay thanks.

18. xxJackxx

Great. I hope it's everything you need it to be. Enjoy your new PC (when you get it). :)

19. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Have you considered getting a mechanical keyboard? As a programmer the monitor and keyboard are the components you interact with the most.

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

They are expensive and will stretch my budget like a balloon that will inevitably burst. I also do not like their loud noises.

On another note, I have a question about dual channel memory. If I use a single 16gb ram instead of 2x 8gb rams, do I have to use the same second 16gb ram model later for a total of 32 gb to use dual channel memory? Or can I use a 16gb ram of the same speed from any brand or series? Because what if the same model of ram runs out of stock?

21. xxJackxx

When using multiple modules identical pairs are ideal. Will it work if you don't? Probably. Will it work well? Maybe. I've had poor results in the past mixing RAM.

Also- If the specs aren't identical you will have to set voltage to the one that needs the most (if different) and timings for the one that is slowest (again, if different).

22. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

You can use any brand of memory, just make sure to match the frequency and timings of the RAM to be nearly identical to avoid any potential compatibility issues.

As for the mechanical keyboard, I understand the budget constraints, but consider it for future upgrades. The loud noise depends on the switch type primarily, not all are loud.

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

So it is best to buy two of the same ram at a time and not add one later to avoid problems.

I see. Okay I will upgrade to one in the future. And I know just where to come for recommendations when I do decide to get a mechanical keyboard.;)

24. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I finally got the pc a couple of days ago. The store built it for me. But I had to go back to the store because I was not getting the wifi properly. It turned out you have to connect the antenna that comes in the motherboard box to properly get the wifi. Silly me. I am used to laptops. I waited for a couple of months for the 12th gen cpu and also saved up for a 24 inch monitor.

Intel 12th Gen Core i5-12400 Processor
    Gigabyte B660M DS3H AX DDR4 Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM
    Team MP33 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD 2100/1700 MB/s
    Value-Top VT-G651A M-ATX Casing
    Corsair CX450 450 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply
    Dell S2421HN 24" 75Hz IPS Monitor
    Fantech KM-100 USB Keyboard Mouse Combo
    Hunkey SZM401 4 Port Socket Power Strip
    Havit HV-E303P 3.5mm Earphone

25. xxJackxx

Great. Sounds like a nice machine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.